Aloo Sabzi Recipe For Poori or Chapati is a basic sabzi recipe made with diced potatoes and an easy dish to prepare with basic ingredients available at home. This version of Aloo Sabzi can be served with stuffed pooris or regular pooris and parathas as well. Learn how to make Aloo Ki Sabzi with these step by step pictures.
For the Matar Kachoris, I had to make this thin gravy with potatoes. The interesting fact in this recipe is the usage of Pickle masala. I used our Andhra Avakkai Urugaya. And yes with all the spice that already went into this gravy, the spicy pickle masala made it more spicy as well.
I adapted this from here along with the Matar Kachori Recipe. Since it was for the brunch, I was making sure I made two gravies. Of course, the nonvegetarians of the house had a lighter breakfast, while I enjoyed this feast. Coming to this aloo subzi, during the Meg BM featuring the Indian States, I ended up making so many Aloo Subzis, all being thin runny gravies, apt for being dipped into. Today’s Aloo Sabzi becomes another version in the lot!
Step by Step Pictures for making Aloo Sabzi
Aloo Sabzi | Thin Potato Gravy for Pooris
- 3 to 4 – Large Potatoes
- 1 tbsp – Ghee
- 1 tbsp – Cooking Oil
- 1/4 tsp – Fenugreek seeds / Methi
- 1 tsp – Fennel seeds / Saunf
- 3/4 tsp – Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp – Red chili powder
- 1 tsp – Coriander powder
- 1 tbsp – Aam ke Achar ka masala
- 1 – Green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tsp – Grated Ginger
- Turmeric powder a pinch
- 2 tbsp – Chopped Coriander leaves
- Asafoetida a pinch
- Salt to Taste
How to make Alu Sabzi:
- Wash and slash the potatoes, Microwave for 5 -6 mins. Soak in water and peel the skin. Keep it aside. Mash it roughly and not as cubes.
- Heat oil, ghee in a non stick pan, add asafoetida, cumin seeds, fennel seeds and fenugreek seeds.
- When the fenugreek seeds starts crackling, add turmeric powder, coriander powder and red chili powder and fry for 1 minute on low heat.
- Next add aam ke achar ka masala and fry again for a minute.
- Add cooked potatoes and chopped green chilli, grated ginger. Stir fry on medium heat for 5 mins.
- Add 2- 3 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook for another 10 mins. This gravy would be slightly watery than the regular gravies, so adjust the consistency accordingly.
- Finally add chopped coriander leaves and simmer for 5 mins.
- Serve it hot with Matar Kachori / Poori.