Allam Pachadi is a popular Andhra Dish served with Pesarattu, a moong dal Dosa. This version is prepared more in a pickle preparation style and has a long shelf life. Apart from Pesarattu, this can be served along with Dosa and Steamed Rice as well.
While I don't like Ginger much, Amma has about 3 different recipes that she has shared with me and what I have earlier made for Allam Pachadi for Dibba roti, Pesarattu Etc. I even got a recipe from my friend as to how she makes for Pesarattu.
Today's version is from Amma's friend who is from Coastal Andhra. She is Amma's childhood friend and we got in touch with her some years back. She had shared her version of Sorakaya Thokku Pachadi, where you can read about our meeting with her, apart from this thokku pachadi, she even prepared Sorakaya Masala Kura.
So when Amma wanted to try something new, she called up her friend and asked how she prepares. She ended up getting a few more, that we have been making ever since and is so favorite at home.
These pachadis are super duper hits and I would suggest you make it and enjoy! We make Pesarattu at least once a week, if not in 15 days and these pachadis are made for it.
We are starting the first week of BM#84, with Dips, Chutneys, and Spreads as the theme.
Allam Pachadi ver 4
100 gms Ginger / Allam
Tamarind Medium Lemon Size
1 tsp Jaggery
1.5 tsp Red Chilli Powder
Salt to taste
2 tsp Gingelly Oil / Seasame Oil
1 tsp Mustard
A Pinch Asafoetida / Hing
Handful Curry Leaves
Wash and peel the skin from the ginger, chop into small pieces.
Wash and soak the tamarind for 10 to 15 mins.
Then take ginger, tamarind, jaggery, red chilli powder, and grind to a smooth paste.
Heat a pan with oil, temper with curry leaves, mustard and then add hing.
Next all the ginger paste and cook in low flame for about 10 to 15 mins till the oil comes out on the sides.
Serve as a side dish for Dosa, Idli or can be mixed with Steamed Rice.
This has a long shelf life, can stay fresh for at least a month, and refrigerated over 2 to 3 months.
Remove the portion you want to use, either saute it in a tsp of oil or MW for a minute.
Allam Pachadi ver 4
- 100 gms Ginger / Allam
- Tamarind Medium Lemon Size
- 1 tsp Jaggery
- 1.5 tsp Red Chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp Gingelly Oil / Sesame Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard
- A Pinch Asafoetida / Hing
- Handful Curry Leaves
- Wash and peel the skin from the ginger, chop into small pieces.
- Wash and soak the tamarind for 10 to 15 mins.
- Then take ginger, tamarind, jaggery, red chilli powder, and grind to a smooth paste.
- Heat a pan with oil, temper with curry leaves, mustard and then add hing.
- Next, all the ginger paste and cook on low flame for about 10 to 15 mins till the oil comes out on the sides.
- Serve as side dish for Dosa, Idli or can be mixed with Steamed Rice.