When we made the Oats Pesarattu, we wanted to select a healthy chutney as we had to avoid peanuts and Hubby dear isn’t a great fan of coconut chutney. Amma had this chutney noted down in her diary. She might have noted from the TV show, I am not sure. We wanted to try it still. Also didn’t want to reveal it ahead to him, as I knew he might not want to even taste it.Just as I thought, he liked it and wanted to know what it was made of. I ensured I told him after he ate. And yes he said he liked it and would not want to be told what it is if it was something like cabbage!
Well on our part we were happy that we got a recipe that’s very healthy too.
Cabbage Coconut Chutney ~ Healthy Side Dish for Dosas
- 1 cup Cabbage finely chopped - 1 cup
- 2 tbsp Coconut
- Couple of sprigs Coriander Leaves
- 4 nos Green Chillies Increase as per taste
- 1 tsp Chana Dal
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- Marble sized Tamarind
- Salt to taste
- A Pinch Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Cooking Oil
- Soak the tamarind in water, extract pulp and keep it aside.
- Wash and finely chop the cabbage. Drain to remove excess water.
- Heat a non stick pan with oil, saute the lentils for couple of mins, then add green chilies, chopped cabbage, with flame on low.
- Allow to cool, then grind in a mixer with salt and tamarind added, add the coconut and grind to a smooth paste along with required water.
This goes for the August Week 4, Cooking from Cookbook Challenge Group.