Sundays mean planning for a Non Veg Thali Menu for Lunch and the thali has invariably a biryani, gravy and a starter along with some Veg dishes. Today's Non Veg Thali Menu has Chettinad Style Kozhi Varuval. This Recipe is an authentic Chettinad Chicken Fry made with the Masala powder popular in the region. This is a quick starter that you can plan for your weekend thali menu. Or as part of your party menu.
Since the Andhra Kodi Biryani planned had a lengthy marination process, we decided to keep the other dishes simple and complete the thali. The other dishes on the Thali was this easy chicken korma along with red chili dal and this chicken fry.
Whats special about Chettinad Style of cooking?
Chettinad Cuisine uses whole spices like Black Stone Flower/ Kalpasi, along with cinnamon, cloves, fennel and star Anise. I have couple of colleagues who are from this region and I have enjoyed their lunch they bring.
Dishes like this Chettinad Vellai Paniyaram, Karuppu Kavuni Payasam and this popular Chettinad Vegetable Biryani are some of the most popular dishes from the region. For the Thali Theme, Vaishali wanted a special lunch thali from this region and I requested my colleague to share their wedding special meal. I was so tempted and looking forward to make it. Finally couldn't execute it, though I am sure I will make it sometime.
If you are wondering why I am talking about Thali, well for the last week of BM this month, I planned to showcase different Indian Thalis. What I have with me is a typical thali that happens in our home, a mix of both Tamil and Andhra dishes.
So I can say a South Indian Non Veg Thali will always have something like this. If you are looking another chettinad chicken fry, you can check my collection.
More Easy Chicken Roast you can try!
Chettinad Masala Powder for Chicken Varuval
For the spice powder, we use the region's special ingredients like the Kalpasi and other aromatic spices. We dry the spices on low flame and let it cool down before grinding to a fine powder. This enhances the fry's flavour and taste.
Step By Step Pictures for making Chettinad Style Kozhi Varuval Recipe
As a first step, soak the shallots or small onions so that it becomes easy for you to peel the outer skin. I have a quick Microwave method for you to peel the shallots.
However, even soaking in water makes the chore easy.
Once you have this done, your major work for the dish is done.
We have to get the chicken washed and dice into small bite size pieces.
When you are ready to make this fry, get the nonstick pan going. Saute the small onions, along with curry leaves and minced green chilies.
You can add the ginger garlic paste when the shallots turn transparent.
When the onions are browned, add the chicken pieces along with salt and Turmeric Powder. Continue cooking on high flame so that water comes out of the chicken and it gets well roasted in the oil. We mostly never add water as chicken is tender to get cooked with its own fat and liquid.
At this stage, add the ground spice masala and mix well. You can simmer the flame and let the chicken get well coated in the masala powder.
continue stirring for 5 to 7 mins and the fry is done. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Other specials from Chettinad
- Chettinad Chicken Kulambu in Pressure Cooker ~ Tamil Nadu Special Chicken Curry
- Chettinadu Chicken Curry Recipe ~ Weekend Cooking!
- Chettinadu Sorakkai Kurma ~ Bottle Gourd Curry Chettinad style!
- Kara Kuzhi Paniyaram Recipe | Chettinad Kuzhi Paniyaram
- Chettinad Sauteed Sweet Potato
- ILam Dosai | Soft Dosai from Chettinad
- Visiri Dosai | Chettinad Visiri Dosai
- Seepu Seedai ~ Chettinad Special
Chettinad Style Kozhi Varuval Recipe ~ Non Veg Thali Menu Items
Ingredients for making Chettinad Chicken Varuval
- 2 tsp Cooking Oil
- 1 cup Shallots / Sambar Onions / Small Onions
- Handful Curry Leaves
- 2 to 3 nos Green Chilies finely chopped
- 2 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 300 gms Chicken Breast
- Salt to Taste
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- Coriander Leaves handful
For the Chettinad Chicken Varuval Masala Powder
- 6 nos Dry Red Chillies
- 1 tsp Shahi Jeera
- 1 tsp Peppercorns
- 2 tsp Coriander Seeds
- 1 no Star Anise
- 2 Cardamon
- 2- inch Cinnamon Stick
- 3 Cloves
- 3 Black Stone Flower / Rathi Puvvu / Kalpasi
For the spice Powder
- Take all the whole spices in a nonstick pan and dry roast till it turns well roasted. Allow to cool and grind to a smooth powder. Keep it aside.
For the Chicken Varuval
- Wash and cut the chicken into bite-size pieces.
- In a nonstick pan, heat oil, add curry leaves, and finely chopped green chilies.
- Add peeled chopped shallots and saute till it turns brown.
- Now add the ginger-garlic paste. Saute everything well.
- Add the chicken pieces and salt along with Turmeric Powder.
- Cook on high flame and combine everything well.
- Water starts coming out from the chicken.
- Add the ground spice powder and simmer after combining everything.
- Add finely chopped coriander leaves.