Coming to the delicious stuffed poori that I made for the Vijayadasami Lunch, it's a recipe I found while I was looking for special dishes made for the Navaratri Pooja. One fact that was interesting during the research was the fact that the dishes made during this Pooja in North, differs so much to what is made in South. Now I am not separating into west and east, but just on a broad classification.
I was determined that the lunch was to be special and I felt it's not unless you offer fried food. Though I had planned to start early, with the different methods the recipes called for, I was still late. I had yet to make the Maddur Vadas that was long pending, so decided that I must complete these pooris at least for the pooja. While the pooja was going on, I finally managed to make the Maddur Vada, seeing that recipe called for such basic ingredients. Will be blogging about it tomorrow.
The stuffed Dal pooris made a delicious combination with the Mixed Vegetable Kurma. You must surely make this and enjoy your special day.
Step by Step Picture Recipe
Dal Stuffed Puri
For the Dough
- 1 cup Wheat flour
- 1/2 cup Urad dal /Blackgram dal
- Water enough to knead
- Salt to taste
For the Masala
- 3 Dry Red Chillies
- 1 Cardamom
- 4 Cloves
- 1/2 Cinnamon
- Cooking Oil for deep frying
Making the Dough:
- In a wide bowl, take the wheat flour, add salt and mix well. Slowly add water and knead to a stiff dough.
Making the Stuffing:
- Soak Urad dal for 1 hour
- In a mixer take the whole spices, pulse it couple of times for the spices to blend.
- Then add the drained urad dal, a pinch of salt to the blended spices. Sprinkle some water for the paste to run smoothly.
- Heat a non stick pan with 1 tsp oil, add the ground urad paste and saute till it becomes dry. It's quite difficult to fry this in a regular pan, non stick pan makes this easier. Most of the urad dal might get struck to the pan, will not be able to save much though.
Making the Stuffed Pooris:
- Knead the dough once again and pich out small balls. Flatten the sides and make sure the middle is thick, place a small amount of dal stuffing in middle and enclose completely making sure the dal doesn't come out. This is same as how you will do Aloo Stuffed parathas.
- Heat a kadai with oil just enough to deep fry. Once the oil is hot, gently drop in the rolled out pooris.
Proceed to make the pooris just as you do with regular pooris. Though the recipe asks you to rest the dough, from my experience I have noticed that when the poori dough rests for more time, it tends to absorb more oil. I forgot to add Cumin seeds for the Urad Dal masala, though I am sure it must have added so much more flavour. I forgot to add Cumin seeds for the Urad Dal masala, though I am sure it must have added so much more flavour. Though I was thinking that the cardamon might make it sweet, the stuffing was Though I was thinking that the cardamon might make it sweet, the stuffing was perfect by the chillies added.
Serve it with Mixed Vegetable Kurma. This was our special Vijayadasami Lunch