Savory Maida Biscuit or Spicy Diamond Biscuit are popular easy-to-make snacks that will satisfy your need to have Khara Biscuits.
Biscuits or Cookies are kids' favorite snack items and easily the most sought out evening snacks for kids. In our growing up years, the choice of biscuits was simple milk bikis, Parle-G, Marie biscuits. So there was always a need for different snacks to munch during evening time.
Those were the time when mummies would quickly make these Khara Biscuits or Diamond Biscuits. The sweet version called the Diamond cut biscuits or shakarpara or Shankarpali, was the most famous one across all Indian States. I don't think we can actually pin the origin of this simple sweet dish.
Shakarpara is so easy to make that it can get done in just 30 minutes from start to end. Since I have always liked the savory snacks over sweet, Amma used to make the Maida Biscuit Karam as well. You can call these Indian Style Nachos as these can have the typical Nacho shape as well.
Are biscuits made of Maida?
Well, years ago, these biscuits were made with just Maida or All-purpose flour. Now one can make it with wheat flour or a combination of other healthy options like Millet Flour or a mix of rice flour, besan, etc.
In today's recipe, I have made a mix of Rice Flour, Besan, Maida. We also make it with Jowar flour, Ragi Flour along with Rice flour as well. We also it with just Wheat flour like this Wheat Flour Savory Chips
Some more biscuits or evening snacks:
Step By Step Pictures for making Spicy Diamond Biscuit
Ingredients Used to make this Savory Maida Biscuit
Flour: Traditionally All Purpose Flour is used to make these Maida Biscuits. However, we can use a mix of flours like rice flour, besan, any millet flour along with Maida to make it healthy or for variation.
For Spice: We typically use Red Chili Powder, however, we have used Sambar Powder, Pepper Powder, ground red chili flakes.
Other ingredients: We can use crushed garlic, cumin seeds, ajwain, pepper powder added to the flour.
PIN This for Later!
Savory Maida Biscuit | How to make Khara Biscuits
- 1/2 cup Rice Flour
- 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour / Maida
- 1/4 cup Besan / Gram Flour
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida / Hing
- 1 tsp Ajwain / Vaamu
- Cooking Oil for deep frying
- In a wide mixing bowl, take all the flour, salt and mix well. Add red chili powder, hing, crushed ajwain, cumin seeds, and mix well.
- Slowly add water to knead to a stiff dough. Dust with flour and roll out to a thin 8-inch disc.
- Using a pizza cutter, make 1-inch strips and again on the other side to get a criss-cross diamond shape. Prick on top with a fork.
- Heat a Kadai with oil, when it is hot, drop the discs and deep fry in batches.
- Drain on a kitchen towel. Let it cool and then store it in an air-tight container.