Learn how to make Thengai Sadam with this easy to make the recipe. Thengai Sadam is a popular South Indian Mixed Rice variety that is an easy and very delicious rice dish to make.
We make Coconut rice in a couple of ways, all using freshly grated coconut. Variations would be in using other lentils, spices, etc. We love Thengai Sadam and have a favorite way of making it. Then there is always a variation to the Coconut Rice that comes, in this recipe I have added chana dal to the rice.
Today's simple lunch thali features Thengai Sadam along with other dishes like Chow Chow Mor Kuzhambu, Kasara Kaya Vepudu, Pesalu Payasam, and Gobi Pakoda. We always make Mor kuzhambu with Okra along with Coconut Rice. This time we made with a different vegetables.
Kasara Kaya is a typical vegetable that looks like a small bitter gourd. More on the post where I have shared how I was introduced to this by Athamma. They all love this stir fry. Amma also wanted to make a new payasam and hence made with the whole moong. Overall it was a delicious meal.
Thengai Sadam is the featured recipe from today's thali. On SYL, it is yet another simple meal.
Thalis & Platters
Week 1 - Platters for Elders
Week 2 - Thalis featuring NonVeg Regional Cuisines - NonVeg Thali
Chicken Donne Biryani - Non Veg Thali 1 for Day 1
Raju gari Kodi Pulao - Non Veg Thali 2 for Day 2
Mutton Biryani - Non Veg Thali 3 for Day 3
Mutton Dum Biryani - Non Veg Thali 4 for Day 4
Fish Curry - Non Veg Thali 5 for Day 5
Prawns Curry - Non Veg Thali 5 for Day 6
Week 3 - Thalis featuring Indian Flatbreads
Banarasi Kachori aur Sabzi Thali for Day 1
Bengali Dhakai Paratha Nasta Thali for Day 2
Bihari Chana Dal Puri aur Sabji Nasta Thali for Day 3
Gujarati Dhebra aur Sabzi Thali for Day 4
Punjabi Amritsari Kulcha Thali for Day 5
Rajasthani Tikkar aur Sabzi Thali for Day 6
Week 4 - Thalis featuring Breakfast from the different Indian States
Goan Breakfast Thali for Day 1
Coorg Breakfast Thali for Day 2
Kerala Breakfast Thali for Day 3
Odia Breakfast Thali for Day 4
Punjabi Breakfast Thali for Day 5
No Rice Tamil Nadu Breakfast Thali for Day 6
Week 5 - Simple every day assembled mini thalis
How to make Thengai Sadam
- 1 cup Rice cooked
- Salt to Taste
For the Paste
- 2 tbsp Coconut fresh
- 2 no Green Chilies
For the Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Urad Dal
- Handful Curry Leaves
- 2 nos Green Chilies slit
- 1 no Dry Red Chili
- 1 inch Ginger chopped
- 2 tsp Chana Dal / Bengal Gram dal
- 2 tsp Peanut Roasted
- 10 nos Cashew Nut
- 1 cup Coconut fresh grated
- A Pinch Asafoetida
- 2 tsp Cooking Oil
- Cook the raw rice and let it cool by spreading in a big bowl.
- Grind the coconut and green chilies coarsely and keep it aside.
- Wash and soak the chana dal and urad dal for an hour, drain and keep it ready when you make the rice.
- Heat a nonstick pan with oil. When the oil is hot, add all the seasoning ingredients listed one by one, including the soaked chana dal and urad dal.
- Now add the coarsely ground coconut and green chilies and saute well till it gets good.
- Finally add the coconut and continue cooking.
- When the ingredients are all cooked, add the cooked rice and toss well.
- Simmer for 5 mins.
- Serve with a side dish of your choice.
Cooking the rice with 1:2 ratio should give you the perfect texture as rice grains has to be separate and not mushy.
PIN This for Later!
Thengai Sadam - Simple Lunch Thali