Jal Jeera recipe or Jal Jira is a very easy and simple to make drink. Jaljeera or Jaljira is an Indian beverage, very popular in North India during Summer Season. This drink is a flavoured beverage made with the spice powder jal-jeera powder.
Jal means water in hindi, Jeera refers to cumin, so this is basically a lemonade made with cumin water. This drink is very healthy too as it spices that are good for us along with fresh herbs. I mostly make this masala powder fresh when I have to prepare this drink. However, we do get ready to use Jal Jeera Masala Mix as well.
This summer drink is what gets served on a typical hot day. When you are planning for a thali, Jal Jira or Jal Jeera Drink is served as a refresher before the meal. You can serve this plain or with Boondi added on top.
I made this Jal-jeera during my Delhi Street Food Thali theme. It surely helped in digesting the heavy food on the thali. We can serve it chilled, we can add soda to make a Masala Soda version. You will have a delicious to enjoy a fuzzy drink on a hot summer day.
Jal Jeera is part of my A to Z Everyday Family Dinner Ideas. These recipes are suitable for all Meals or Everyday dishes. This month it is going to be easy recipes starting with J, K and L.
During hot summer time, you will feel thirsty and you can enjoy and overcome the heat by drinking these Pudine ki Shikanji, Aam Ka Panna, Mango Lemonade, Minty Water Melon Sorbet or this Mango Lassi.
Some refreshing drinks you can indulge!
PIN Jal Jira This for Later!
Step By Step Pictures for making Jal Jeera
Jal Jeera Ingredients
Main ingredients used
We make this drink using Cumin, Ginger, Black Pepper, Kala namak, Fresh Mint and Coriander leaves.
All are very healthy and good for our body.
Jal Jeera Benefits
Jal Jeera aids in digestion Process.
Since this has lemon and herbs, it helps treat nausea.
You can take this as a Detox drink as well.
This is a good source of vitamin C.
Jal Jeera Recipe | How to make Jaljeera Drink
- 1/4 cup Mint Leaves / Pudina, tightly packed
- 1/4 cup Coriander Leaves / Kothamalli, tightly packed
- 1/2 inch Ginger
- 2 tsp Cumin Powder (Roasted) / Jeera Powder
- 1/2 tsp Amchur Powder / Dry Mango Powder
- 1/4 tsp Black Salt / Kala Namak
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- Pepper to taste
How to make Jaljeera Drink
- Take 2 tsp cumin seeds and dry roast over hot pan. Make sure you don't char it. Allow it to cool down and grind to a smooth powder.
- Wash and drain the mint and coriander leaves.
- Take the fresh herbs in a mixer jar, along with 2 tsp jeera, salt and ginger along with lemon juice.
- Add little water and grind to a smooth paste.
- Take the quantity of chilled water as required.
- For 1 serving of 100 ml, we can approx use about 2 to 3 teaspoon of the ground paste.
- Adjust as per your taste and serve chill.
- Most serve with a serving of boondi over it. However, enjoy the chilled drink as well.
Suma Gandlur says
A perfect thirst quencher on a hot summer day. I would prefer this healthy drink over a carbonated drink any day.
Rafeeda - The Big Sweet Tooth says
What a spicy drink to have, and that too really cold... Sounds so delicious and refreshing...
lovely, refreshing drink for hot summer days. nice click too (in that copper serve ware). Valli!
This is our favorite and loved your recipe.
Harini Rupanagudi says
A very refreshing beverage that beats all carbonated coolers out there. I like to mix this concoction in thin buttermilk also. Wonderful set of ingredients.
Jal jeera is so refreshing and perfect summer drink. that Delhi street food thali is too inviting.