Kara Kuzhi Paniyaram is a Chettinad dish, popularly served for breakfast. This paniyaram is one of those really sinful dishes that you can indulge in for any meal of the day. Though it is traditionally cooked and served for breakfast, these days it can be an anytime meal.
Today's recipe is again from Amma's dairies that have so many recipes that she has noted over many years. As I said it's my goal to make all of those at least once. Cooking from Cookbook is all about discovering recipes from Cookbooks, Dairies, and paper clippings. I seriously wish I get my paper clippings covered as well!
Anyway, this Kara Kuzhi Paniyaram is a Chettinad Special and though we have already so many versions of paniyaram done, the proportion used for this is different from the rest. Mostly leftover Idli/Dosa batter is reprocessed as Paniyarams. That is no doubt wonderful. Yet this different proportion makes the dish all the more delicious.
Other varieties similar to this dish are:
We make this in Andhra as well. The Guntha Pongannalu is a typical Andhra Style.
Kara Kuzhi Paniyaram
Servings 4 people
- 3 cups Boiled Rice
- 1 cup Raw Rice
- 1/2 cup Urad dal
- 2 tbsp Sago / Sagubiyam
- 1 tsp Salt
- Wash, change water couple of times and soak all the ingredients for 4 hrs. Then grind to a smooth batter.
- Transfer to a wide bowl, add salt and ferment for 5 to 6 hrs.
- When ready to make the paniyaram, add finely chopped onions, green chilies and mix well.
- Heat the paniyaram pan greased with oil. Pour small ladleful of batter into each hole. Sprinkle oil over it and cover with lid, simmer for 5 to 7 mins.
- Remove with the wooden spoon and serve with chutney.