Little Millet Khichdi or Samai Khichdi is a one pot dish prepared with Little Millet, mixed lentils and vegetables. This is a healthy option for easy dinner ideas. If you are looking for easy millet recipes, this Samai khichdi is the best option!
Ever since we have moved on to including Millets more in our diet, I have been making different dishes with different Millets. Ragi, Jowar and Bajra have always been part of our everyday cooking. I make different Sangati like Ragi Sangati, Jowar Sangati and Sajja Sangati for breakfast. Hubby Dear loves these filling and healthy breakfasts.
Apart from this, Athamma used to make Korra biyam and Samulu very often to replace her regular rice. Though both of us never used to eat then, we have now started included and sometimes I make only Millet or mixed with rice. However, this Khichdi is very often prepared, at least once for dinner, especially when Kids have noodles for their dinner.
Today's recipe is made with Little Millet, while I generally don't fix to one millet. Consistency and Cooking the Millets is almost the same with all varieties. Only very small changes you got to make and even that is not noticeable most times.
Since I only make this Khichdi for just two of us, my parents are not fond of it as well, I mix and match different lentils that I have stocked. You will find me adding masoor, moong, chana and toor dals in varying proportions. I always keep the vegetables the same and have not been very adventurous other than the time I made the A to Z Biryani / Pulao / Khichadi Mega BM.
More Millet Dishes for you:
PIN This for Later!
How to make Millet Khichdi
Soaking the millets for a little longer time, helps in cooking it faster.
Wash until water is clear and let it soak.
I have used mixed vegetable and mixed lentils in making this Khichdi.
Spiced with green chilies and red chili powder, this is an one pot meal you can simply serve with curds or papad.
Little Millet Khichdi | How to make Millet Khichdi
- Pressure Cooker
- 1 tsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tsp Ghee
- 2 Cloves
- 1 Cinnamon
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 Green Chillies
- 1/4 cup Onions finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 cup Mixed Vegetables (Carrots, Beans, Potato)
- 3/4 cup Little Millet / Samai / Samak rice / Samulu
- 3 tbsp Moong Dal
- 2 tbsp Chana Dal
- 2 tbsp Masoor Dal
- 1 tbsp Toor Dal
- 1 tbsp Quinoa
- 2.5 cups Water
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 3/4 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- Salt to taste
- Coriander Leaves to garnish
How to make Millet Khichdi
- Measure and take the little millet, dals in a bowl and rinse well until you get clear water.
- Let it soak for at least 15 mins.
- Prepare the vegetables and keep it aside.
- In a pressure cooker, heat cooking oil and ghee. Temper all the whole spices.
- Saute well. Now, add the onions, green chilies, saute till done.
- Now, add the tomatoes and the vegetables.
- Add salt, red chili powder and turmeric powder, continue cooking on low flame till the vegetables are slightly done.
- Drain the water and add the millet and dal to the cooker, combine everything well.
- Add water and cover with lid. Pressure cook for at least 3 whistles, let the pressure fall down.
- Once done, remove the lid, add coriander leaves and mix well.
- Serve with papad, pickle or curds.