Methi Na Dhebra or Gujarati Methi Na Dhebra is an Indian flatbread made with pearl millet with fresh fenugreek leaves and spices. This is a staple gujarati dish and loved by all. Dhebra has a good shelf life as it is cooked with ghee in amount.
First of all, this bread has good shelf life, as a result, these are packed for traveling and enjoyed. Similarly to this roti, we have another version made in Andhra. It certainly makes it easy for us to like this roti.
Certainly being a winter crop, the Pearl Millet flour is good to be consumed during this period. With fresh fenugreek leaves available, it is only natural that these two ingredients are added together. Bajra flour is a gluten free and is very healthy. The Gujaratis call it Rotla and uses fresh green garlic to make a rustic meal.
During our visit to Vaishali’s home, she got us to see how the locals make these rotla with their palms. It is surely an art to get this rolled out properly. Methi or fenugreek is a leafy vegetable with excellent health benefits. We use it a lot in our cooking and it is rich in iron and calcium. A combination of bajra and methi makes the Dhebra a very nutritious flatbread.
Today’s featured recipe in the Gujarati Dhebra aur Sabzi Thali is the Methi Dhebra. Even more, since I didn’t know about the Nasta concept, I made it for dinner served with Sev Tamatar Ki Sabzi, Gujarati Moong Dal, Batata Nu Shaak and Dry Fruits Shrikhand. In SYL, its bread from Rajasthan.
In SYl, its another flatbread from Rajasthan.
Thalis & Platters
Week 1 – Platters for Elders
Week 2 – Thalis featuring Non Veg Regional Cuisines – Non Veg Thali
Chicken Donne Biryani – Non Veg Thali 1 for Day 1
Raju gari Kodi Pulao – Non Veg Thali 2 for Day 2
Mutton Biryani – Non Veg Thali 3 for Day 3
Mutton Dum Biryani – Non Veg Thali 4 for Day 4
Fish Curry – Non Veg Thali 5 for Day 5
Prawns Curry – Non Veg Thali 5 for Day 6
Week 3 – Thalis featuring Indian Flatbreads
PIN This for Later!
Step by Step Pictures for making Methi Na Dhebra
Ingredients Used to make this Methi Na Dhebra:
First of all, freshly milled bajra flour works best for this roti. Even more, finally adding the fresh methi leaves make this a very healthy and nutritious roti.
Add warm water to knead the flour as it helps in binding this gluten free flour and to make it more tasty, we can add different spices to this flour.
Patting the balls down on a greased plastic sheet will help. If you are using dry flour, with practice you can roll it between your palm.
Finally, these rotis are prepared with ghee, you can actually be liberal so that these rotis stay good for a longer period.
You can serve the plain Dhebra with different side dishes. Methi Dhebra goes very well with pickles and chutneys.
Side dishes like Sev Tamatar Ki Sabzi, Gujarati Moong Dal, Batata Nu Shaak can be served on the side.
Methi Na Dhebra | Gujarati Methi Na Dhebra
- 1 cup Bajra Flour / Pearl Millet Flour
- 1 cup Fenugreek Leaves / Methi Leaves
- 1 tbsp Garlic Paste
- 1 tbsp Green Chili Paste
- 2 tbsp Curds / Yogurt
- A Pinch Turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Cooking Oil for cooking the dhebras
- Clean and wash the fresh fenugreek leaves.
- I use the stems if it is tender, else discard.
- Chop the leaves very fine and drain it in a colander.
- In a mixing bowl, take all the ingredients along with the chopped leaves and mix well.
- Slowly add water and knead to a stiff dough.
- Divide into equal balls and get ready to pat it down.
- You can pat it into thick rotis on a greased plastic sheet or you can pat it between your palms.
- Make sure you dip your palm wet and handle the dough.
- Heat the tawa and grease well.
- Carefully place the roti over it and cook on both sides.
- Normally when you use plastic sheets, you can lift the sheet in your left hand and flip over the patted roti on your hand palm and place over the hot tawa.
- Else if we use banana leaf, we can directly invert over the tawa and remove.
- Drizzle oil/ghee over the dhebra and cook well.
- Ghee is normally added to dishes prepared with methi as it balances the bitter taste.
- Cook till brown spots appear all over.