Idli Kurma Recipe is a combo meal with simple Easy Kurma for Idli. This Easy Kurma and Rava Idli is prepared under 30 to 40 minutes.
Today's Easy Family Dinner Ideas has easy kurma idli side dish that is simple and very quick to make dish. This kurma has herbs like mint and coriander and the final dish turns out as green. So you can call this as Green Kurma as well.
We make similar kurmas that are easy to make and only requires grinding all ingredients and bringing to a boil. These combo dishes are especially quick to make when you plan for a weekday dinner as both the dishes can be done under 30 to 40 mins of cooking time.
Rava Idli with Green Kurma make a quick combo meal!
Amma mostly makes Rava Idli with all seasonings and uses only curds. This recipe uses just plain rava, we mix the batter with thick curds, adding cooking soda as leavening agent.
The green kurma uses a mix of mint and coriander leaves along with coconut and spices. We just have to grind and then bring to a boil, your kurma is all done. Prepare the Kurma while your Idli batter is resting.
We mostly plan for a simple meal for dinners on weekdays. We have fixed menu for weekend dinners. So having an easy dinner idea helps me when I have work and don't have time to prep a lot.
Amma suggested this combination of Idli Kurma Recipe when she saw it in on some online channel. Amma has just started browsing through youtube and other online media and is not still very comfortable. Since the whole procedure is quite easy, we wanted to try and it surely turned out good.
We have made this Rava Idli and Green Kurma a couple of times and enjoy the simple side dish that you can pair it with chapati, dosa or even pulao. If you are game, you can add vegetables as well. We made it plain kurma and liked it as such.
I made an Idli Platter as part of my Thali Theme last year, it had easy to make idli recipes that you can enjoy! You can check my Idli Varieties made till date and this collection of Idli Varieties on Spice your Life! as well.
For a Low Carb Idli recipe, you can make this Sprouted Moong Dal Idli
This Idli Kurma is the dish for I in the A to Z Easy Family Dinner Ideas. Without much fuss, you can make these Idlis with Kurma under 40 mins.
Other Idli Varieties you can try
More Kurma recipes you can try
PIN This for Later!
Ingredients Used to make Idli
Regular Semolina or Bombay Rava is used to make this Rava Idli. These idlis are not seasoned with any other ingredients. The idlis are plain and tastes very good and easy to make.
Resting the batter for 30 mins will make the rava soak up all the curds and the batter will turn very thick. So just before steaming you will have to adjust the consistency by adding 1/4 to 1/2 cup curds and 1/2 tsp more cooking soda.
This Rava Idli is plain without any seasoning. Rava Idli with Green Kurma combination is a popular breakfast combo in Karnataka. They don't season the batter.
Ingredients Used for making the Green Kurma
This easy green kurma can be served as a side dish for dosa and pulao as well. The gravy uses a ground paste made with mint, coriander, coconut along with spices. Since we are serving with Idli, the gravy has to be little on the thinner side. So add water as required and cook it.
The gravy uses a raw ground masala that has to be cooked well. You can make this kurma while the Idli rests and by the time you have the idlis steamed, you have the side dish ready as well.
Idli Kurma Recipe ~ Simple Easy Kurma for Idli
Ingredients for Making Rava Idli
- 1 cup Semolina / Rava (approx. 150 gms cup)
- 2 cups Curds / Yogurt
- 1 tsp Cooking Soda
- Salt to taste
For the Ground Paste
- 1 cup Coconut grated
- 5 - 6 Cashew Nuts
- 15 - 20 nos Mint Leaves (approx. fistful)
- 2 sprig Curry Leaves
- 1/4 cup Coriander Leaves
- 5 nos Green Chillies
- 1 tbsp Poppy Seeds / Gasa Gasa
For making the Green Kurma Gravy
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 4 nos Cloves
- 2 nos Cardamom
- 2 inch Cinnamon
- 1.5 cups Onions finely chopped
- 1.5 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1/2 cup Tomato Puree
- 250 ml Water
How to make Rava Idli
- Measure the Rava into a mixing bowl. Add thick curds to it along with salt and cooking soda.
- Do not add water at all. Mix to a batter and keep it covered for 30 mins.
Making the Kurma
- Take all the ingredients listed for ground masala and grind to a smooth paste. Keep it aside.
To make the Gravy
- Heat a kadai, add cooking oil, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon and saute well.
- Then, add finely chopped onions, ginger garlic paste, and cook well.
- Next, add tomato puree to the gravy and bring to a boil.
- Once the tomato is well cooked, add turmeric powder and salt.
- At this stage, you can add the ground paste and saute well in the masala.
- Add water and bring to a boil. Since all the ingredients are raw, we can cook on high for 5 mins, then simmer for 10 mins.
- Serve with Rava Idli.
Steaming the Rava Idli
- When the kurma is getting cooked, after 30 mins rest, the idli batter is ready to be steamed.
- Rava would have absorbed all the moisture. So, you can adjust the consistency by adding about 1/4 to 1/2 cup curds and 1/2 tsp Soda.
- Start with 1/4 cup curds and add more depending on the texture.
- Grease the idli molds with cooking oil and pour the batter into the molds.
- Steam for 10 mins high, and let it rest for 5 mins.
- Serve hot kurma with piping hot Idlis.