Tangdi Kabab Chicken Biryani is a delicious biryani made with Chicken Legs cooked in a masala and then layered with basmati rice and cooked on dum to get a flavoursome biryani.
Chicken Biryani is my kids favorite dish and they don't mind us making it every week. Some months ago, we used to make biryani on alternate weeks. Now, we have changed to every week as they love it and it is also makes our job every easy as they like it and we need not cajole them to eat.
They somehow fancy chicken legs, so Amma thought we should get only that and make this Tangdi Kabab Biryani that she happened to watch in a tv program. She made this masala in one pot and the rice separately to be cooked together in dum later. Cooking together will surely alter the taste and look.
Ingredients Used and Alternatives that can be used
Rice - This biryani is made with Basmati Rice, we can use any other aromatic rice as well.
Garam Masala / Whole Spices - Surprisingly we don't use any whole spices in this biryani we mostly use. Instead we have used garam masala.
Tangdi Kabab Chicken Biryani Recipe
This Biryani is cooked in layers, meaning the chicken masala is cooked in a separate pot and the rice is cooked to 80% in a pot, drained and added to the masala. It is then cooked in dum for over 15 mins. To get more tangdi kabab effect, you can smoke with coal once the chicken is cooked. Since we couldn't lay our hands on it, we skipped that part.
Tips to make this Biryani
Always remember to cook the rice till 80% cooked. Then it can be drained and added in layers for the rice to be completely cooked. This way the flavours of the masala can steep into rice and makes this an aromatic biryani.
Biryanis are mostly served on its own. However, you can always serve a simple Onion Raitha with it. We at times make a chicken gravy as well.
Tangdi Kabab Chicken Biryani
For the Chicken Tangdi Kabab
For the Rice
- 2 cups Basmati Rice
- 6 cups Water
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Browned Onion
- Handful Coriander Leaves
- 2 tsp Ghee
- Few stands Saffron
- 1/4 cup Milk
Cooking the chicken legs
- Wash and drain the chicken legs.
- In a nonstick, add cooking oil. When it becomes hot, simmer and add all the chicken pieces, toss the chicken on all sides and cover with lid to cook for 4 mins.
- Remove the lid and again toss the legs on all sides.
- Next, add curds, ginger garlic paste, salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder, green chili paste, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala, crushed pepper corn along with 1 cup fried onion. Combine everything well and let it cook on low flame for 5 mins.
- Then, add chopped mint and coriander leaves and cook for 10 mins. Continue cooking by tossing the pieces with the masala.
- Continue to cook on all sides, until oil comes out.
Cooking the Rice
- Wash and soak the rice for 30 mins.
- In another pan, bring the water to boil and add the basmati rice and salt.
- Cook until the rice is cooked for 80%.
- Drain the rice.
Laying and Dum Cooking
- Soak the saffron in warm milk.
- Layer the drained rice over the cooked chicken legs.
- Top with the remaining fried onions, finely chopped coriander leaves, 2 tsp ghee, saffron, milk.
- Cover with lid, and cook dum for 15 mins.