Ugadi Special Dishes to celebrate Ugadi, a festival in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, and Karnataka to mark the beginning of a new year.
We celebrate the first day of Chaitra month is as Ugadi as per the Hindu calendar and typically falls in the month of March or April in the Gregorian calendar. We are observing Ugadi on April 13th this year.
Yugadi (Kannada: ಯುಗಾದಿ, Telugu: ఉగాది) from yuga + aadi, yuga means era, aadi means start. The start of an era is the new year's day for the people of the Deccan region of India. First of all, the people of Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh use the term Yugadi/Ugadhi for this festival, while Maharashtraians refer it as Gudi Padwa. Sindhis celebrate the same day as their New Year day as Cheti Chand.
Ugadi Special Lunch has different dishes picked from this collection:
As a kid I fondly remember looking forward to Ugadi every year. Certainly, this is a festival when Amma would make Poli and she used to make so much to distribute to the entire neighborhood. It took us quite some time to convince her to make the Sweet Polis on other days too.
I was very happy knowing that Athamma has the custom of making Poli for all festivals. It is only natural that I embrace this habit wholeheartedly!
Some of the Ugadi Traditions we follow
First of all, the day starts with having a early bath. We do Rangorli or Muggulu which is with different colour flours. We decorate the doors with Mango leaves Toranalu, buying new clothes. Special pooja where festival feast is prepared and shared with neighbours and friends.
The highlight of this festival is the Ugadi Pachadi. The pachadi is a festive food combining all flavors – sweet, sour, salty, bitter, astringent and piquant (spicy hot). In Telugu and Kannada Hindu traditions, it is a symbolic reminder that life is a mix of all flavours and by eating this pachadi, we accept that.
In my parent's place, this day is observed as the day they pray to our elders. We prepare special food and along with new cloths, this feast is offered to God.
For the offering, Amma makes Ugadi Pachadi, Mudda Pappu, 5 varieties of vepudus (Dry sautes or fries with vegetables) Semiya Payasam/ Sagubiyam Payasam, Meddu Vada, Sakkara Pongali, Pachimirapakaya Pappu, Rasam, and curds, along with Poli
Our Ugadi Lunch at Amma's place is featured as this.
I am sharing different options you can make from my collection.
- How to make Potato Pakodis
- Cabbage Onion Pakoda
- Biyam Pindi Pakode ~ Rice Flour Pakodas!
- Onion Pakkodas
- Mirapakaya Bajji - Chilli Bajji
- Onion Pakoda | How to make Crispy Onion Pakoda
- Stuffed Chilli Bajji or Fritters | Stuffed Mirapakaya Bajji | Bajji Mirapakaya Step by Step Recipe
- Baby Corn Bajji | How To Make Corn Bajji
- Pulihora, Kadalai Paruppu Sundal ~ Day 2
- Pulihora | Tamarind Rice ~ Navratri Special Dishes – Day 1
- Mamidikaya Pulihora | Green Mango Rice | Mangai Sadam
- Andhra Pulihora Recipe | Tamarind Rice ~ Andhra Special
- Karivepaku Pulihora | Curry Leaves Tamarind Mixed Rice ~ Step by Step Recipe
- Puli Aval / Atukula Pulihora, Chana Dal Khus Khus Payasam / Senaga Pappu Gasagasala Payasam | Navratri Recipes
- Pepper Tamarind Rice, Miriyala Pulihora ~ Weekend Cooking | Step By Step Recipe
- Andhra Pulihora ~ Tamarind Rice with Sesame seeds!
- Andhra Pulihora, Tamarind Rice ~ Andhra Special!
- Puliyodharai, Kara Kondakadalai Sundal ~ Navratri Special Dishes - Day 2
- Capsicum Bath | How to make Bell Pepper Mixed Rice
- Ulundogorai | How to make Urad Dal Rice
- Maamidikaya Pappu ~ Mango Dal!
- Sapidi Pappu, Tomato Rasam ~ Simple Andhra Thali
- Bottle Gourd Dal (Sorakaya Pappu)
- Korra Annam with Dal with Fenugreek leaves (Menthakku Pappu kura) ~ Andhra Special!
- Vijaya Dashami festival Food and a sweet gesture!
- Endimirapakaya Pappu ~ Red Chilli Dal
- Lunch Box Series : LBS#45 the tale of the beerakaya continues!
- Vankaya Pappu Andhra Style | Brinjal Dal ~ Lunch Box Series #2
Payasam and others
- Rava Laddoo ~ Sugarbomb Treats!
- Vermicelli Kesari ~ Semiya Kesari!
- Senaga Pappu Payasam for Janmashtami!
- Semiya Payasam ~ My Liquid delight!
- Moong Dal Payasam (Pesara Pappu Payasam) ~ Ayuda Pooja Celebrations!
- Chana Dal Payasam | Kadalai Paruppu Payasam (Sanaga Pappu Payasam) ~ Tamil New Year Special
- Seviyan Recipe for Birthday celebration | Sweet Vermicelli | Typical South Indian Style - 3
- Kesari Bhath ~ A Delightful Dessert!