Beetroot Pachadi is a cross between a raitha and a pachadi that works out best as a side dish for your pulaos. The dish is easy to make and pairs well.
We are starting the final week of BM#49, and I will be doing One Ingredient, Different forms. I picked up beetroot as it's one vegetable I am trying to involve more in my cooking.So for the day 1, it's Beets pachadi. The regular schedule got affected because we had the BM#50 Celebrations and all of us were so tired. So that's the reason for the late posting.
Coming to the pachadi, this is more like a raitha served with pulao. And it's a cross between a regular raitha and a side dish. I can't strictly call this a raitha, a pachadi sounds better as the dish is a cooked one. Still I served with with Tomato Biryani, it was a great combination.
I ended up being in love with my own pictures, because of how colourful it looked finally! Then I had two minds of sending this for Kids Delight Colourful Dishes. Well I can't spam Varada's inbox with just Beets right!
Enjoy this pachadi, while I go and get my next posts ready! If you are interested to know other side dishes for pulao, you can check out the collection.
- 1 cup Beetroots grated
- 2 tsp Cooking Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Urad dal
- Handful Curry Leaves
- 1/2 cup Shallots peeled and chopped
- 1 inch Ginger
- 2 long Green Chilli
- 2 tbsp Coconut grated
- 1/4 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1/4 tsp Coriander Powder
- Salt to taste
- Water for cooking
- 1.5 tbsp Tamarind Extract
- 1 tbsp Jaggery
- Handful Coriander Leaves
- 2 tbsp Curds / Yogurt
- In a non stick pan, heat oil temper with mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves, shallots, sliced ginger, split green chillies. Saute well till the onions turn colour.
- Then add grated coconut and salt. Combine everything well
- Now add the grated beetroot, turmeric powder, cumin powder and coriander powder along with little water. Saute the beetroot and the spice powders together. Cook in sim for 5 mins.
- When the beets turn soft, add tamarind extract, jaggery and little water.
- Cover it and let the beetroot cook for 7-10 minutes.
- Sprinkle coriander leaves. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Finally switch off heat, bring it down, add curd, mix well. And then again cook for 2 minutes.
- Serve with pulao.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 48