Spring Onion Drumstick Sambar is surely one with a new taste and makes the experience very different. The first time I heard of this was from my colleague who got it once for lunch. I have been ever since wanting to make it. When I was planning for the Tamil Nadu Thali, I had initially only planned on using just Drumstick alone as boys eat only drumstick sambar. I suddenly remembered I could use the spring onions that were waiting to be used up.
I used the spring onions while sauteing onions and the sambar surely gave such a wonderful aroma. Since there were too many dishes on the plate, we couldn't enjoy it as much as we should have. Will be making it again.
Spring Onion Drumstick Sambar was part of the Tamil Nadu Thali
Spring Onion Drumstick Sambar
For the dal
- 1 cup Toor Dal
- A pinch Turmeric powder
- 1 cup Drumstick 2' 10 pieces
For the Dal
- Wash the toor dal and change water. Take it in a pressure cooker along with turmeric powder. Pressure cook for 3 whistles. Let the pressure fall down.
- Wash and chop the drumstick. Chop into 2" pieces. Add this to the dal, add more water as required. Cover with lid and let it cook. Switch off before the first whistle goes off.
- Let it stand for the drumstick to get cooked this way.
- I normally cook drumstick separetly in MW. However since I was racing against time, I had to quick turn to cook this in pressure cooker.
For the Sambar
- Heat a nonstick pan with oil. Add the sambar tempering whole spices along with curry leaves. Saute for couple of minutes. Add hing and slit green chillies. Saute everything and add the chopped spring onions, sambar onions.
- Cook everything for 3 minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes. Add the sambar powder and salt. Add the tamarind pulp. Combine everything and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked dal along with drumstick. Add water as required and bring to a boil.
- Cook for 10 mins on low flame, finally add the chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve with rice.