Aloo Mutter Masala is a delicious gravy dish mostly prepared for Rotis and Pooris. However I was once attempted to make these for Appam after a chance eating of this served with Appam.
Tantalizing aroma was sneaking out of the hot box that was laid on the table. When I peeped in, saw some rich gravy with big chunks of potatoes swaying with peas in a wonderful melody. It was Aloo Mutter Masala served with Appam. We always serve Appams with either Tomato Kurma, Kerala Stew or plain sweeten coconut milk. So making a new side dish for Appam was a good change. I was regarly waiting to make this at home.
I made this Aloo Mutter Masala as a side dish for Appams the Sunday breakfast last week. I completely forgot to soak the dried peas. Since I was particular that I make this dish before I forget the recipe, I soaked the dried peas in hot water for half an hour. Then pressure cooked it for 5 whistles. I think it had some semblance of cooked peas. But I would've preferred the overnight soaked one. Once the peas were cooked and ready, this dish got done in flat 15 mins.
I was all eager to serve this to hubby dear. Of course, for Konda I had to prepare coconut milk. She is yet to get herself eat spicy gravies. I just love the way her face changes when I serve her a plate of appam with coconut milk. She declares she will eat two appams. I will all be soared with happiness, only to know she will not be able to complete even the one I serve her. She will eat away all the outer crispy ones and leave the middle thick appam for me. I don't mind though.
Coming back to the Aloo Mutter Masala, when I served finally I couldn't hear anybody jumping about with excitement, saying this was best combo in ages. The gravy was very good, only Hubby dear felt this would be more suitable for Rotis or Pooris, it is decided its going to be made next only for those breads.. He has his defined tastes and won't change so quickly. Let's see how this Aloo Mutter Masala is made.
Over the years this gravy was adapated into many ways and forms. The recent time when I made again with the exact same way, it was good remembering back on this day.
Step by Step Pictures for making Aloo Mutter Masala
Aloo Mutter Masala
- Soak the dried peas overnight and pressure cook for 3 whistles or till done. Finally add cubed potatoes to the peas and cook for another whistle.
- Chop Onions roughly and grind to fine paste. Blanch Tomatoes and make a puree.
- Heat a kadia with oil. Add whole spices. You can also use the same cooker after removing the boiled peas and potatoes.
- Fry the onion paste along with ginger garlic paste. Sauté well to ensure it doesn't burn.
- Then add tomatoes puree. Add chilli powder, garam masala and salt. Check spice and add more if you need.
- Cook in low flame for 5 mins, till its cooked well. Then add the cooked potatoes and peas. Mix well and add coriander leaves
- Let it cook for 10 mins or till gravy thickens.
- Serve with Rotis or Pooris. If you want to try differently try with Appam or even Dosa, it tasted great!