Godhumai Idli or these Instant Whole Wheat Flour Idli are easy to make Instant steamed dish you can make for your Breakfast or for your dinner. These are soft Idlis, healthy and quick to make.
When it was the turn to make a steamed idli starting with G, I had few choices to make with Green Moong Dal Idli, Green Moong Dal Dhokla etc. Since I already have a healthy idli like this Sprouted Moong Dal Idli, Moong Dal Samba Rava Vegetable Idli, I have to check for something else.
So these Godhumai Idli were the perfect answer, I was inspired by the recipe from Archana's site and wanted to try it myself.
In the series of A to Z Indian Steamed Dishes, its Godhumai Idli for G!
This Andhra Style Idli with Idli Rava is a popular Idli recipe from Andhra.
These steamed idlis are easy to make instant dish made with wheat flour and other spices.
For the Batter
Curds / Yogurt - Using thick curds will make the batter soft even though we mix in water.
Whole Wheat Flour - Using regular atta makes this a very easy dish to make.
Enos Fruit Salt - This fruit salt enables for the idli to get cooked well. We can replace with baking soda though we will have to rest for longer time.
Oil - We can use ghee for sauteing the spices, however Sesame Oil makes an excellent medium in this dish.
Spices - I have used crushed pepper corns, cumin seeds and hing in this batter.
Lentil & Nuts - Using Chana Dal, broken cashew nuts makes this idli very tasty.
Other Ingredients - Spice it with herbs like curry leaves, coriander leaves and green chilies as well.
See recipe card for quantities.
To make this instant wheat idlis, I have used Whole wheat flour or regular atta for the batter. Spiced and steamed right away, it makes a quick meal.
For making the Batter
Heat a pan and dry roast the wheat flour until aromatic. Takes about 5 minutes.
Make sure you keep stirring, else the flour will get burnt.
Transfer to the mixing bowl.
To the pan, heat the oil. When hot add all the ingredients list under seasoning.
Saute until the mustard seeds crackle.
Pour this over the roasted flour.
Now add the cup of water to the curds and make a thick buttermilk.
Else you can directly add the curds to the flour and add water as well.
Either ways, make sure to mix the batter into a lumpless mix.
Add salt and let the batter sit for 30 minutes.
Making the Idlis
Grease the idli plates with oil. Preheat the steamer with water.
When the idlis are ready to be steamed, add 1/2 teaspoon of enos fruit salt to the batter and mix well.
The batter will become light and fluffy. Remember to do this step when the idlis are ready to be poured in.
Using a ladle, spoon the batter into the greased idli moulds. Stack all the plates.
Place inside the hot steamer and steam for 15 -20 minutes until done.
Mine were done in 15 minutes, you can check by inserting a knife into the idlies.
Serve these healthy Godhumai Idlis along with chutney of your choice.
Substitutions & Variations
This is a vegan breakfast as it uses only wheat flour along with sesame oil. You can always use ghee if you are not particular about it.
Add red chili flakes as well for seasoning.
Using cashew nuts makes it very tasty for people who like it. I have skipped using it.
We will Idli Steamer, a mixing bowl to make the batter.
Since this is an instant idli, we can just make whats needed and not think about storing these idlis. Also the batter will not stay good when stored as it has Eno Salt.
Make sure the flour is well roasted, else you will feel the raw wheat flour.
Making the batter little thick will make the idlis hold their shape.
Steam the idlis the moment you pour into the molds.
Godhumai Idli | How to make Wheat Flour Idli Recipe
For the Batter
- 1 cup Curds / Yogurt
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Enos Fruit Salt
- 1 teaspoon Cooking Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoons Sesame Oil or you can use Ghee as well.
- 1/2 teaspoon Chana Dal
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon Peppercorns crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 1 Green Chilli finely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon Asafoetida / Hing
For making the Batter
- Heat a pan and dry roast the wheat flour until aromatic. Takes about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Make sure you keep stirring, else the flour will get burnt.
- Transfer to the mixing bowl.
- To the pan, heat the oil. When hot add all the ingredients listed under seasoning.
- Saute until the mustard seeds crackle.
- Pour this over the roasted flour.
- Now add the cup of water to the curds and make thick buttermilk.
- Else you can directly add the curds to the flour and add water as well.
- Either way, make sure to mix the batter into a lump-less mix.
- Add salt and let the batter sit for 30 minutes.
Making the Idlis
- Grease the idli plates with oil. Preheat the steamer with water.
- When the idlis are ready to be steamed, add 1/2 teaspoon of Enos fruit salt to the batter and mix well.
- The batter will become light and fluffy. Remember to do this step when the idlis are ready to be poured in.
- Using a ladle, spoon the batter into the greased idli molds. Stack all the plates.
- Place inside the hot steamer and steam for 15 -20 minutes until done.
- Mine were done in 15 minutes, you can check by inserting a knife into the idlis.
- Serve these healthy Godhumai Idlis along with the chutney of your choice.