Dhalpuri / Dhalpourie / Dhalpuri roti is an Indian Inspired flatbread from Trinidad and Tobago. It is a Caribbean Dhal Puri, a flatbread stuffed with seasoned ground split peas.
A Vegan flatbread from Trinidad with Split Pea Stuffing. This Dhal Puri can be eaten as such or with chutney. Though this is called a puri, it’s pan-cooked paratha.
I came across roti when I was reading on Trinidad for regular BM and immediately thought this will fit my D so perfectly!
This Dhal Puri is mostly served with a meat side dish, while you can serve with just about any curry or even plain flatbread as such.
While the Dhalpuri Roti is mostly made with ground split peas, I came across recipes that called for Chickpea as well. And that's what I did, I used the lentils I used for my Masoor Dal Kebab and went ahead making this.
As I was cooking so many dishes in one go, I had to pair and make the most common ingredients together. I love working out a plan and writing it in my spreadsheet, so I had a list that said which all I had to cook together so that I don’t waste the ingredients.
- Ingredients used to make Dhal Puri
- How to make the Dhalpuri Roti: Step By Step
- Additions and Subtitutions
- Variations you can make to this Recipe
- Equipment you will need to make Dhalpuri Roti
- Storage & Reheating
- Expert Tips
- Other stuffed Lethil Flatbread Recipes You'll Love!
- What to Eat with Dhalpuri Roti?
Ingredients used to make Dhal Puri
Chana Dal or Split Chickpea is the main ingredient for the stuffing in this flatbread. The cooked dal is spiced with red chili powder, cumin powder for taste enhancement.
The outer layer is made with All Purpose flour.
How to make the Dhalpuri Roti: Step By Step
Wash and soak the dal overnight. Pressure cook with enough water until soft.
When the pressure falls, mash it well. Keep it aside.
Heat a nonstick pan with oil, dry roast the mashed dal with all the ingredients, and spice powders till it comes together.
For the Dough:
In a wide bowl, take flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt and mix thoroughly. Drizzle in oil and incorporate into the mixture.
Add water slowly to knead to a soft dough. Keep it covered for 30 mins.
Making the Dhal Puri
Pinch out the dough into equal balls.
Divide the dal into equal balls.
When ready to make, flatten the dough with flour and place the filling in the center, cover on all sides, proceed to roll out evenly.
Heat a tawa with oil, cook the dhal puri on both sides till done.
Serve with any side dish of your choice.
Additions and Subtitutions
This flatbread is Vegan and is suitable for all ages. If you are not vegan, you can easily use butter or ghee to cook this puri.
Typically they use Split Chickpea, however, there are recipes that use Moong Dal as well.
Variations you can make to this Recipe
We use Red Chili Powder to spice this flatbread. However, for a difference in taste, you can always use green chili paste as well.
If you don't have either, you can always use ground red chili paste during the cooking as well. However, remember these will not be part of the actual dhalpuri.
Equipment you will need to make Dhalpuri Roti
You can knead the dough manually or use a food processor when making it in huge quantities.
We need a Tawa to cook the puri. And a rolling pin with a board to roll out the puri.
Storage & Reheating
The cooked flatbread can be stored in fridge for two days. Once you thaw for an hour or so, you can either cook over hot tawa by drilling few drops of oil, cook on low flame on both sides.
Else you an microwave for a minute. Serve it right away.
The cooked rotis or puris freeze very well. So wrap in a ziplock cover and freeze each by wrap in a parchment paper.
Thaw and reheat before serving.
You can store the stuffing and outer dough as well for a couple of days.
The dough for the Dhalpuri Roti has to be very soft and well kneaded. Make sure you knead the dough little stiff so that the stuffing doesn't steep out.
For the stuffing, the dal has be well cooked. When you press the dal, it should crumble away. However, make sure the water is completely drained so that the stuffing doesn't become soggy.
Other stuffed Lethil Flatbread Recipes You'll Love!
- Bikaneri Paratha from Rajasthan
- Bihari Chana Dal Puri from Bihar
- Radhaballabhi from West Bengal
- Sattu ka Paratha from Bihar
What to Eat with Dhalpuri Roti?
If you are serving it for Breakfast, you can simply serve it with a spicy pickle and curds.
Dhal Puri | How to make Dhalpuri Roti
For the filling:
- 1 cup Chana Dal / Yellow Split peas, soaked overnight
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic paste
- A Pinch Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Cooking Oil
For the Dough:
- 2 cups All purpose flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Cooking Oil
- Cooking Oil for cooking
- 1 1/4 cups Water or as required
- Wash and soak the dal overnight. Pressure cook with enough water until soft.
- When the pressure falls, mash it well. Keep it aside.
- Heat a nonstick pan with oil, dry roast the mashed dal with all the ingredients and spice powders till it comes together.
For the Dough:
- In a wide bowl, take flour, baking powder, sugar and salt and mix thoroughly. Drizzle in oil and incorporate into mixture.
- Add water slowly to knead to a soft dough. Keep it covered for 30 mins.
Making the Dhal Puri
- Pinch out the dough into equal balls.
- Divide the dal into equal balls.
- When ready to make, flatten the dough with flour and place the filling in the centre, cover on all sides, proceed to roll out evenly.
- Heat a tawa with oil, cook the dhal puri on both sides till done.
- Serve with any side dish of your choice.