These Pesara Garelu makes a delicious snack anytime of the day. Make them in mini size and serve them for your kids birthday party, I am sure these will be a hit. The last time I made them, it was during the boys birthday. While my boys don't touch any deep fried dishes, Konda surely enjoyed it. These Vada are made with Split Yellow Moong dal or Pesarapappu. So these Pesara Garelu are a delicious deep fried snack you can indulge for a snack.
When it comes to birthday parties, my kids mostly want either pizzas or chicken. I never bother much about vegetarian food. So it was a surprise when this time, Konda enjoyed these Vadas. That made me think that yes there are kids who will love these snacks too.
These are called as Pesarapappu vadalu / Pesara pappu garelu. Garelu is another word for Vada. We also refer these as pesara vadalu.
- 1 cup Split Moong Dal
- 1/4 cup Rice Flour
- Curry Leaves handful
- 2 Green Chillies
- Salt to taste
- Cooking Oil for deep frying
- Wash and soak the moong dal for 2 hrs. Drain water completely and remove about 2 tbsp of dal. Grind rest to a smooth paste without adding much.
- Slowly add the rice flour to the dal mix along with rest of the ingredients. Mix to form a thick batter.
- Heat a kadai for deep frying. Make small balls, flatten and gently drop into hot oil.
- Cook on both sides. Drain on to a kitchen towel.
This goes for the December Week 1, Cooking from Cookbook Challenge Group.