Tawa Chilli Paneer is one of those quick snacks you can make when you have homemade paneer ready on your hands. We never buy Paneer except when we want to make Paneer Tikkas on skewers. Else it's always only homemade and the kids love how soft it tastes.
I was supposed to take up Cooking on Tawa and was so looking forward to making new and interesting dishes on tawa. When I picked up this theme, I was literally thinking about the tawa used by the street vendors to make Tawa Pulao or Curry. Of course, their tawas are really huge.
I was introduced to the Tawa Pulao during our Ahmedabad and loved it to the core. In my visit to the city again for Vaishali's family function, I saw delicious paneer cooked along with tri-color capsicum that was all so evenly diced into 1/2 inch cubes. The gravy had turned out so well.
The chef had the orange masala prepared ahead. He simply assembled the curry for us with the main ingredients. He was only cooked a single portion at a time and boy, was it a sight!
So while picking up this theme, I basically wanted to make those dishes at home. However as it seems to happen these days, I simply no longer have control over the things that seem to happen to my plans. Nothing materialized. The Spice your Life site, which was supposed to take just a week has gone into dormancy for a month and some by now. I am still not ready with a post for it.
This dish came about when Konda was super hungry and off late as she has been demanding, she only wants something very delicious, very cheesy, and very interesting. Well, this Tawa Paneer Chili actually took about 15 mins on the whole as I had it serving before her TV show got over.
Step by Step pictures for making Tawa Chilli Paneer
Tawa Chilli Paneer
For the Paneer Marinade
- 1 cup Paneer cubes
- 4 tbsp Curds
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder
- 1 tsp Pav Bhaji Masala
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala
- A pinch Turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
For the Chili
- 1/2 cup Onions cubed
- 1/2 cup Capsicum cubed
- 2 Green Chillies chopped
- A pinch Amchoor Powder
- A pinch Chat Masala
- A pinch Salt
- 2 tsp Cooking Oil
For the Paneer Marinade
- Wash and cube the paneer. Take to a bowl.
- Take the curds, spice powders and mix well. Add this to the paneer and let it sit till you get your chili ingredients ready.
For the Chili Toast
- Chop all the vegetables as cubes. Heat a tawa with oil, add the paneer along with the marinade and cook on high till the marinade gets evaporated and the paneer is nicely coated with it.
- Heat another tawa with oil, saute the cubed vegetables on high. Quickly tossing to get it cooked.
- When the capsicum gets slightly cooked, add the cooked paneer, toss well and continue cooking on high.
- Sprinkle the chat masala, amchoor powder and a pinch salt over it finally before removing to a serving plate.
- Serve it right away or as a snack for a party.