We are starting the 3rd week of BM# 46, this week with Combo Dishes. These combo dishes were suggested by the BM Members and it surely makes a wonderful set of dishes to make. Each combo dishes are famous from different states and cultures. I was surely interested in taking this up.
However, I couldn't make this before this weekend and it was such a hectic schedule to make all the combos. I was so happy that I managed to make all the combos. This Mor Kuzhambu is typically from Tamil Nadu and very much like the Kadi of North India. I have some varieties of Mor Kuzhambu and was planning to check out new versions.
So I checked who had suggested this combo and found it was PJ. I landed at her place and checked out her version. It was quite different from how I make and wanted to make her version of Mor Kuzhambu and a paruppu usili. I have made all versions of Usilis, so the only one left out was this Carrot Paruppu Usili.
I made it for Saturday lunch and everybody loved it so much! In fact, my father loved it so much that he wanted it for dinner as well. Must thank PJ for these delicious dishes!
For the first day under Combo Dishes, I made Mor Kuzhambu and Carrot Paruppu Usili.Step by Step Pictures for making Vellai Poosanikai Mor Kuzhambu
Vellai Poosanikai Mor Kuzhambu
For the Gravy
- 2 cups White Pumpkin / Vellai Poosanikai / Ash Gourd - boiled
- 2 cups Curds /Yogurt fresh
- 2 tsp Besan / Bengal gram flour
- A pinch Turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Urad dal
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- 1 tsp Cooking Oil
- A pinch Asafoetida
- Curry Leaves handful
For the Ground paste
- 4 long Green Chillies
- 1 inch Ginger
- 5 tbsp Coconut grated
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds / Jeera
- MW the chopped white pumpkin for 6 mins. Keep it aside.
- In a bowl take the curds and beat along with salt and turmeric powder.
- For the ground masala, chop coconut finely and make a paste along with cumin, green chilies and ginger.
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan, add all the seasonings. When it splutters, add the beaten curd, ground paste and the boiled vegetables.
- Add a little water to the besan and keep aside.
- When the curd mixture starts to boil, blend in the besan paste.
- The mixture will thicken on boiling.
- When it reaches the desired consistency, remove from heat and serve with rice.
This tastes so delicious with Carrot Paruppu Usili.