The second variety of stuffed poori that I have been wanting to make were these Bedmi pooris. Now I already have some 4 -5 dal stuffed pooris, one referred as Bedmi Poori, on the blog. I simply don't have a clue on why these are Bedmi, I make these as they are so sinful and addictive. As expected until I ended up writing this post again, I never noticed that I used the wrong dal. I was supposed to use Urad dal and I ended up using Moong Dal! And I am sure you know my fixation on menus right, so this recipe was suggested as part of some contest that some site ran based on the Menu hosted by the Indian Government for US President Obama on his recent visit. Both the Veg and NonVeg menu was most interesting for me to analyze and think if we could make it ourselves. In the contest, the site had asked readers to suggest recipes, and this combination of Bedmi Poori with Aloo Subzi were suggested.
- 1 cup Urad dal /Black Urad without skin. Or you could use Yellow Moong Dal
- 2 cups Whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Fennel Powder
- A pinch Asafoetida
- A pinch Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Dry Ginger Powder or you could use Ginger paste
- 1/2 tsp Amchoor Powder /Mango powder
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- Salt to taste
- 2 Green Chillies
- Cooking Oil for deep frying
- Soak black gram / moong dal in water overnight and make a coarse paste of the soaked dal along with green chillies.
- In a bowl mix flour with fennel seed powder, asafoetida, dry ginger powder, red chilli powder, amchur powder, coriander powder and salt.
- Add dal paste to the flour mixture and start kneading it. If required add very little water to make a stiff dough.
- Add ghee to the dough and knead for a minute or so.
- Cover the dough with a wet cloth and allow it to set for 20 minutes.
- Knead the dough one more time and divide it into equal sized balls.
- Heat oil in a kadhai .
- Roll each ball into 5” pooris and fry it on medium flame till they turn golden brown and puff up.
- Drain on a kitchen towel, serve hot with Bedmi Chana Ki Sabzi
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 48