For the second day of Sandwich without Bread, I have yet another of my long on to-do list, Ice Cream Sandwich Cake. For a couple of years, this cake has been the rage and everybody wanted an Ice Cream Sandwich Cake. I have not tasted the commercial one fearing that eggless ones are not available. Even the place where we do get I end up getting a truffle cake.
When I thought of this theme long and hard, I wanted something that will be enjoyed by all. Naturally, cakes to mind and since we always stock ice cream, I thought I would make use of it, and make eggless cakes for the layers.
Ice Cream Sandwich Cake | Microwave Chocolate Vanilla Ice Cream Cake
For the Vanilla Cake
- 1 cup All purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 3 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 3/4 cup Sugar Granulated
- 1/2 cup Cooking Oil
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 1/4 cup Curds / Yogurt
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Essence
- A Pinch Salt
- 3 tbsp Cocoa Powder + Half of the Vanilla Batter
- 1/2 cup Water
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 cup Chocolate Chips
Dark Chocolate Ganache
- 1 cup Dark Chocolate Compound chopped
- 200 ml Fresh Cream
For the Ice Cream Layers
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- Bring to boil the water along with sugar until melted, then cook in low flame till it thickens.
- In a bowl take the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt and fluff well.
- Next add oil, vanilla essence, curds, milk and blend well. Finally add 1/4 cup water, mix. Then slowly add the rest of the 1/4 cup depending on how thick your batter is. I had to use the whole of 1/4 cup as microwave cake batter needs to be little loose.
- Remove 1/2 cup of the above batter for making chocolate batter. Mix in cocoa powder and combine gently.
- Grease the bowl with ghee, pour half of the batter using 1/4 measuring cup and Microwave for 1 min 20 secs.
- Rest for a minute and transfer to a plate.
- Repeat till you are done with both the batters.
- Meanwhile, make the sugar syrup till it thickens. When the cake is done and resting, prick with fork and pour the sugar syrup over the cake.
How to assemble the Ice Cream Cake Sandwich
- Scoop the required Ice creams to a bowl and let it stand to become soft or you can spread it well.
- Take the chocolate layer first, spread Vanilla Ice Cream evenly, sprinkle the dark Chocolate Chips over it.
- Press the vanilla cake over this, spread the chocolate ice cream evenly, then layer it with Chocolate cake.
- Repeat another layer of vanilla ice cream, dark chocolate chips. Finally, press in the vanilla cake.
- Freeze for 30 mins.
- MW the cream for a min, add chopped dark chocolate compound, MW for 30 secs. Whisk well till mixed completely.
- Ganache will thicken when cooled, else you can MW for another 30 secs.
- When the cake is frozen, remove and quickly spread the ganache all over the cake and freeze until serving.