Vanjaram Varuval or Seer Fish Fry is one of the favorite dishes for my family. Vanjaram tastes great a deep fried side dish and kids enjoy it much.
I have mostly seen Amma making Vanjaram or Seer Fish mainly because it only has one long bone and is easy to handle. We mostly make fry or vepudu and used to make fish gravy many years ago. Now since we don't have any takers for it, we have stopped it and make only the fry.
My kids love this fish fry and we try to make it often, so it happens very infrequently. We had made this as part of our Sunday Lunch and had already shared the Nei Meen Varuval
Amma used to make another version of this vajaram vepudu and that used to be a hit as well. Since this is a fry, kids mostly love to enjoy this as such rather than as a side dish with rice. However, the gravy with this fish is supposed to be very tasty as well, especially when it rest for a day and enjoyed the next day. There are many songs singing praises of this notion as well.
Step By Step Pictures for making Vanjaram Varuval
Ingredients Used in this fry
To give a crispy coating, both rice flour and maida is used. It also coats the spice to be retained to the fish after it is cooked.
The regular Indian spice powders are added along with ginger garlic paste, which makes it very delicious.
Vanjaram Varuval ! Seer Fish Fry
- 500 gms Vanjaram / Seer Fish
- 3 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Pepper Powder
- A Pinch Turmeric Powder
- 3 tsp Rice Flour
- 3 tsp All Purpose Flour
- 2 to 3 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- Wash and prep the fish as required. Drain the water.
- In a bowl, add all the spices and mix well.
- Use little water to make a paste. Squeeze the lemon juice and mix well.
- Rub the fish with the masala and keep it aside for 10 mins.
- Heat a kadai with oil, gently slide the fish and cook over low flame until both sides are roasted. Drain to a plate.
- Serve with rice.