This is a 3 ingredient Pizza dough that you can make as a Pizza as well. A basic kulcha recipe that works well as a pizza base as well, with just 3 ingredients and only about 20 mins of rest.
A simple Kulcha recipe that only calls for salt and curds and I have skipped adding Baking Soda in it. A typical Kulcha recipe calls for curds and baking soda. Even without soda, the base works very well as a pizza base.
If you have noticed lot of Naan Pizzas, let me clarify that those recipes uses ready made naan bases. By definition, Naan will always have yeast in it. So if you are going to say you made Naan without yeast, I am sorry you are making a kulcha.
A Naan is always made with All Purpose flour, yeast whereas kulcha is made with curds, baking soda. I am a sucker for definitions and don't like things to be interchanged.
So for the final one, this pizza is a typical Indian Fusion Dish making use of Kulcha dough and making it into a Pizza. My kids didn't find anything different and simply loved it to the core!
Step By Step Pictures for making Kulcha Pan Pizza
No Oven, thin Pizza Crust on Stovetop in a pan
Grease your nonstick pan with butter and carefully place the pizza base. Prick with a fork all over on top and cover with a lid. Cook for 5 to 7 mins.
Carefully flip to the other side and again cook with a lid. This again takes about 3 to 4 minutes. The entire stovetop cooking has to be done on a low flame.
Continue cooking with all the pizza bases, and assemble before serving the meal.
Baking this thin crust Pizza base in Oven:
Roll out thin pizza crust of about 1/4th thickness and bake on a greased pizza plate in a preheat oven at 185C for about 10 to 15 mins.
You can bake all pizza base ahead before assembling it for your meal.
Ingredients Used to make this Kulcha Pan Pizza
This easy Pizza is made using Kulcha dough, which doesn't have baking powder, baking soda and not even yeast. This dough has just salt and curds used and the kneading the dough for 10 mins, makes it soft and easy to bake as a pizza base.
I baked this in both Oven and on Stove top. I used both Oregano and Rosemary in the dough and in the sauce.
Use warm water and warm milk for best results.
Since I was making the pizza for kids lunch, I decided to make the crust ahead and then assemble when it was ready for the meal.
So bake each crust for 10 to 15 mins and keep it ready.
Once assembled it only needs 5 mins to bake.
When cooking on Tawa, please remember to grease the tawa with butter and cook on low flame with lid on. Cook on both sides.
3 Ingredient Pizza Dough | Kulcha Pan Pizza
For the Kulcha Dough
- 3 cups All Purpose Flour / Maida
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3/4 cup Curds / Yogurt
Optional ingredients for the dough
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 1/3 cup Water Warm as required
- Oregano as required
For the Pizza
- Pizza Sauce as required
- Mozzarella Cheese
- In a wide bowl, take the flour, add salt, ghee and curds, knead to a soft dough. If required add warm water and knead to a soft dough.
- Knead for at least 10 mins and let it rest for 20 mins.
- I used oregano in the dough, it is optional.
- Once ready, divide and roll out as a disc.
- Spread the pizza sauce and top it as per your choice.
- Bake it in a preheated oven for 10 to 15 mins at 200 C
- If you are cooking on stovetop in a pan, once it is hot, grease with ghee and cook with the rolled dough with a lid covered.
- Flip and cook on the other side as well.
- Spread the pizza sauce, top with cheese and other topping as per your choice.