Aloo Masala or Masaledar Aloo ki Sabzi is an easy to make side dish for chapatis. This gravy is made in an onion and tomato base with regular spice powders.
Planning on making something quick and easy for dinner is always a tough thing to plan ahead. So I decided to make this simple, yet delicious sabzi made with versatile Potatoes. Potatoes are the most loved vegetable and you can cook it in so many different ways. When I checked my index, I noticed that I have many potato based dishes, yet there are still some more dishes to be made.
However, my boys don't like it. They only like it in chips or french fries form. So I have to plan well to include in ways that they cant’ refuse. This recipe is very simple to make for everyday meals even after a hectic workday and I saw that my boys won't refuse as well.
With Hubby dear becoming a vegetarian and I now have a company for vegetarian dishes, it has now become imperative that I think of proper vegetarian gravies for our dinner. Our lunches are always mostly typical South Indian meals. Our weekday dinners are mostly chapati with subzi.
Given this is the situation, I now feel I have a better option of trying out all my paper clippings and share here.
Step By Step Pictures for making Aloo Masala
Aloo Masala | Masaledar Aloo ki Sabzi
- 4 medium Potatoes
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 3 to 4 medium Onions
- 2 big Tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Garlic minced
- 1 tsp Red Chili powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- A pinch Turmeric Powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder roasted
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala
- 3/4 tsp Curry Powder Store bought
- 2 tsp Cooking Oil
- Peel the potato skin and cube into 2 inch pieces.
- Heat a non stick pan with oil, add bay leaf, cumin seeds.
- When cumin crackles, add minced garlic. Saute well, then add finely chopped onions, saute well.
- Now add the cubed potatoes and simmer with lid covered. Potatoes become soft, now add tomatoes, salt turmeric powder and simmer again for 10 mins.
- Next add all the spice powders and saute well. Add 1/2 water and let it cook well.
- Simmer till the gravy thickens and aloo is cooked well.
- Finally garnish with coriander leaves. Sim for 5 mins.
- Serve with rotis.
PIN This for Later!