I am sure many of you remember those buttery Bakery Biscuits that all Moms make during their kid's childhood days. I remember Amma making this on the stove, then in the oven, if I am not wrong, even in a makeshift oven using sand. Those perfect melt in your mouth biscuits, that look white and smell so delicious as well. The moment you bite into it, you can feel it melting away and you have the aftermath of a wonderful sensation.
I had long forgotten how Amma used to make nor did I wanted to try a new recipe. When I got my new Microwave Convectional oven, I got to see this recipe being done as a demo. It was wonderful to know that those battery biscuits one gets from shops could so well be done at home. The only disadvantage being it uses Vanaspati instead of Butter. When I asked Amma, she said most shops use Vanaspati instead of Butter. Vanaspati, as you know, is a hydrogenated vegetable fat. It is mostly used as a butter substitute.
These biscuits are called Venna Biscuit or Butter Biscuit in our bakery, these are white in colour and usually very soft to bite into.
For now, I really won't worry this inclusion, but will surely try with exact butter measurement soon. Konda and Peddu loved this on the very first bite and have asked me to make it some 4 times now. Every time it disappears as fast as it was baked. This time round I wanted to ensure I have some left for the final pictures.
It's been ages since I baked anything, and this really was very therapeutic. I sniffed at something in the memory and it felt like Pizzas, yes I know what is my next on the list.
Do remember to check out my favorite Dal Rice for Kids
Step by Step pictures for making Bakery Biscuits Konda enjoyed her share of mixing the dough. You should continue to knead till you get a soft dough Place each pressed ball on the tray Biscuits getting baked towards the end of the 15 minutes.
Bakery Biscuits in Microwave Convectional Oven
- 1 cup All Purpose flour / Maida
- 1/2 cup Icing Sugar
- 75 gms Vanaspati / Vegetable Shortening
- Few drops Vanilla Essence
- In a bowl, sift the flour with icing sugar well. Add the vanilla essence and mix.
- Then slowly mix in the vanaspati. This needs to be done with small quantity and you need to keep rubbing it to get that crumbly texture.
- Press the Convection mode in your Microwave, increase the temperature to 185 degrees. The time duration for preheating is taken care automatically by the MW oven.
- Keep kneading the dough and continue till you get a dough that is soft yet stays in shape. Pinch out small balls and press between your palms to form small circles.
- Else you can also make balls and roll them to the thickness you prefer and cut with a biscuit cutter.
- I simply pinched out balls and pressed them before placing them on the tray. You need not grease the tray as the biscuits will let out oil during the baking process.
- Once you have placed all the biscuits on the tray and the timer on the preheat goes out, place the tray inside the MW oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, you can let it rest for few minutes inside the oven. Then remove and allow it to cool before storing it in an airtight container.
- With 1 cup of flour, I was able to make 1 batch, but if you want to make more, remove the biscuits onto the wire rack and bake the second batch.