Prawns Gravy / Prawns curry is a side dish made with spices cooked in an onion-tomato base. This gravy pairs very well with pooris and chapatis.
Prawns are available only during a certain season and we mostly make it as gravy as everybody likes it with Poori. However, it's again a case of one of them not liking it. Until some point, I had Peddu eat just the biryani, then now he completely stopped saying he doesn't like it. So we don't make the biryani that often as it becomes a laborious process.
I had to redo this final Thali featuring nonveg special of South India, as the previously selected one had a Prawns Roast along with Chicken Biryani. When all the previous thalis were done and I felt I finally completed the toughest theme of the series, I felt it wasn't enough. I wanted to feature the same variety of meat in the thali, to showcase how it can be plated and which dish complements the other.
As I had previously said, we are used to cooking different meat for the same meal as all are used to it. However, I wanted the Thalis to showcase each one separately. So I ended up planning for a new one. I was to feature the Prawns Biryani in this Thali. However, I couldn't find the step-by-step pictures and ended up sharing the Prawns Gravy. Both the recipes are new. So I will have to share the biryani on another occasion.
How long do prawns take to cook?
Prawns don't take much time to cook. Amma says at the most it only takes about 10 mins to get done. However, the cleaning process is the tedious one.
When I had planned on this one, I had to make the biryani as well. Everybody loved it and said it came out really so well. Since Peddu and the vegetarians needed something, we were happy with the rasam. Moreover, the sweet was something we were making after a long time. This used to be frequently made during my growing-up years when Amma would do it just like for a quick bite!
If you are looking for a sinful roast, then try this Nei Royyala Vepudu / Prawns Ghee Roast.
I have a delicious Prawns Biryani that my family loves!
Thalis & Platters
Week 1 - Platters for Elders
Week 2 - Thalis featuring Non-Veg Regional Cuisines - Non-Veg Thali
Chicken Donne Biryani - Non-Veg Thali 1 for Day 1
Raju gari Kodi Pulao - Non Veg Thali 2 for Day 2
Mutton Biryani - Non-Veg Thali 3 for Day 3
Mutton Dum Biryani - Non-Veg Thali 4 for Day 4
Fish Curry - Non Veg Thali 5 for Day 5
PIN This for Later!
Step By Step Pictures to make Prawns Gravy
Ingredients Used in making Prawns Gravy
Prawns are cooked in an onion-tomato base with spices to make a rich tasty gravy as a side dish for pooris/rotis.
After cleaning is done, it is left to drain well. Once the gravy is ready, the prawns are added in the last 10 minutes as it only needs 10 minutes to get cooked and soft.
Prawns Curry | How to make Prawns Gravy
- 500 gms Prawn before cleaning
- 2 tsp Cooking Oil
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 1 tsp Peppercorns
- 1 Star Anise
- 2 nos Cardamom
- 2 nos Clove
- A Pinch Turmeric powder
- 1 nos Cinnamon
- 2 medium Onions
- 2 medium Tomato puree
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 10 nos Cashew Nuts
- 1 cup Coconut Milk
- Handful Coriander Leaves
- Clean the prawns and let it drain.
- Heat a pan with oil, add cumin seeds, then add the ginger garlic paste to the oil. Fry for a min, then add cloves, cinnamon, peppercorns, star anise, cardamom and fennel seeds. Saute for few minutes. Now add the ginger garlic paste. Cook on high.
- Now add finely chopped onions. Sauté till they turn pink. Then add tomato puree. Fry till the whole mix gets nicely cooked.
- Add salt and turmeric powder and continue cooking on high flame.
- Now add the prawns, fry on high flame till they are well mixed. Simmer for 5 mins.
- Water will come out of the prawns, fry till it evaporates.
- Then add the chili powder, coriander powder. Simmer for 5 mins. Oil should come out by now.
- Add thick coconut milk and simmer for 5 minutes. Now add 250 ml water. Bring to boil.
- Let it boil for 10 mins, till the water evaporates. Cook till you get the consistency you want.
- Add cashew paste and combine well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve with pooris.