Mutton Chops Masala is a spicy semi saute gravy made with mutton chops. This can be served as a side dish for rice or roti. Special spice powder is added to make it very flavoursome.
Mutton chops has been a recent inclusion in our cooking. Hubby Dear got it some months back thinking kids may not like it. However, it turned out that both Konda and Peddu liked it a lot. As I didn't have a clue on how to make this dish, I asked Amma to give me the recipe for making this. She had two versions and said its been a while since she had cooked this as well.
The first time we made, Amma has used a different spice powder and recipe. I clicked the pictures, hoping kids will like it. They enjoyed it much, though I am yet to come around sharing that recipe. The subsequent times we made its always been along with gravy and Amma used the same spice powder as she grinds for the gravy. Finally when I thought I had time enough to click pictures, this thali happened.
Today's Non Veg Thali has Colour Rice or Masala Rice served with Mutton Pulusu, Liver Fry and Mutton Chops. It is surely a non vegetarian's feast. For the Vegetarians we made some dal and I forgot to place it in the thali as well.
I am doing the Thali theme this week and this is yet another weekend special Non Veg Thali Menu.
For Vegetarian Thali ideas, you can check the different thalis on Spice your Life!
Mutton Biryanis for the Weekend Special!
Mutton Side Dishes
Pin This for Later!
Step By Step Pictures for making Mutton Chops
Making of Mutton Chops Masala
We use roasted spice masala to enhance the taste of these chops.
Once the masala powder is ready, keep it aside and get chops ready.
Pressure cook the chops and keep it aside.
Start by heating oil in a kadai, saute onions till brown.
You can sprinkle some water for the onions to get well cooked and melted
Next add the ginger garlic paste followed by tomato paste and onion paste.
So when all these pastes well cooked well add the spice powders.
Finally when the masala is well cooked add the cooked chops along with water and let it dry on its own.
Add the ground spice masala powder and mix well, followed by coconut paste.
Adding curry leaves, coriander leaves makes this so flavoursome.
Mutton Chops Masala
Ingredients to make Mutton Chops Masala
- 2 tsp Coriander Seeds
- 2 tsp Poppy Seeds
- 1 tsp Peppercorns
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 5 - 6 Cloves
- 2 inch Cinnamon
- 2 nos Cardamom
- 6 Cashew nuts
How to make Mutton Chops Masala
- Dry roast all the spices, allow to cool. Grind to a smooth powder.
For the Gravy
- Wash and pressure cook the mutton chops with a pinch of salt and turmeric powder.
- Heat a kadai with cooking oil, saute onions till brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute well.
- Next, add the onion paste and saute well.
- When the entire mixture gets cooked well, add the tomato puree.
- Add the red chili powder, coriander powder, and turmeric powder.
- Saute everything well, add cooked mutton chops with 1/2 cup water.
- Add the spice powder and coconut paste. Continue cooking for 5 mins.
- Then, add the herbs and simmer till the water is all evaporated.