Thavalai means a vessel in Tamil and this Thavalai Dosai refers to the Dosai that is cooked in a small wok/Kadai referred to as the ‘Appachatti’.
Thavala Dosa is a specialty dish from North Arcot District of Tamil Nadu. This is one of those No Ferment Dosa I selected and made together in the batch of eight dosas. I know you must be thinking I have repeated enough about the Eight different batches I made on a day. I adapted from this recipe.
However, the point is, I had combined handful of fermentation needed Dosas and some no Ferment Dosas. Some of these required same ingredients as some from the other batch. So I had ground and measured for each once it was ground and fermented as required.
So this Thavala Dosa is not only a ‘No Ferment Dosa’ it is also gluten free and a Vegan Recipe. Of course, many of the Indian Dishes are Vegan if you skip the ghee. Cooking this dosa with Sesame Oil or Peanut Oil enhances the taste further. You can serve the Thavalai Dosai with Red Spicy Chutney, Coconut Chutney Or even Korma goes well.
The other options I had for T were the different versions you can make with Thinai, then Tuppad Dose/ Ghee Dosa from Karnataka, Tender Coconut Dosa. I had prepared the Indian Flatbreads with the states in mind and ensured I didn’t repeat the states. I did end up repeating a couple of states more.
With the AtoZ Dosa Varieties though, I just couldn’t manage. At one point, I almost felt that I was doing AtoZ Dosa Varieties from Karnataka. So I picked up other states as much as possible.
A to Z Dosa Varieties
A for Alle Belle
B for Bele Dose
C for Chilro
D for Dhuska
E for Eylanchi
F for Faraali Dosa
G for Ghaaroda
H for Heerekai Dosa
I for ILam Dosai
J for Jini Dosa
K for Kadapa Karam Dosa
L for Lentil Dosa
M for Mushti Dosa
N for Nachni Uttapam
O for Oats Dosa
P for Phanna Doddak
Q for Quinoa Dosa
R for Rava Onion Masala Dosa
S for Surnali Dosa
PIN This for Later!
Step by Step Pictures for making Thavalai Dosa
Thavalai Dosa | Tamil Nada Special Thavala Dosa
- 1 cup Rice Raw
- 1/2 cup Urad Dal
- 1 cup Curds / Yogurt
- 3 no Dry Red Chillies ground to a fine paste
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida /Hing
- Salt to taste
- Sesame Oil for cooking
How to make Thavalai Dosai
For the Batter:
- Wash rice and soak in water for 30 minutes.
- Wash Urad dal and soak in water separately for 30 minutes.
- Drain the rice and grind to make a fine batter by adding little water at a time to make a thick and smooth batter.
- Similarly, drain the dal and grind to make a smooth batter with as little water as possible to get a smooth batter.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine both the rice and the urad dal batter. Whisk in the curds, the red chili paste, asafoetida, and salt.
- Let the batter rest for 30 minutes to one hour.
Making the Thavalai Dosai
- Heat the Appachatti and grease it uniformly with oil.
- Pour a ladle of batter into the center of the pan. Hold the pan with both the handles and quickly swirl it around so that the batter coats base and sides of pan evenly. Drizzle few drops of oil.
- Cover pan and cook over low heat till the middle of the dosa is cooked and the edges browned.
- Once done, remove the Thavalai Dosai with a spatula and serve.