These Brown Butter Brownies are Eggless, made with rich dark chocolate and brown butter. It is a simple recipe that is ultra chocolatey, rich cakey texture.
These Brown Butter Brownies are a popular holiday dish you can make as a snack or just for the holiday season to gift your friends.
Brownies are my weakness and since having done Fudgy Eggless Brownies, The Best Fudgy Brownie Recipe for this week as part of the Bake-a-thon 2021, I opted to bake another brownie with this interesting ingredient which is the highlight of this dish.
When I did the Bake-a-thon 2015, the entire month I made Brownies as the main theme. Even then I had missed out on making it with the brown butter. So I am so excited that I am sharing this Brown Butter Brownies recipe with brown butter.
Ingredients used in this recipe
This brownie uses Brown Butter, Dark Chocolate, and Condensed milk.
Brown Butter: Melt the unsalted butter over high flame, until you start seeing bubbles and you get a clear liquid that is brown and clear.
Dark Chocolate: I used tempered cooking chocolate with 90% cocoa solids, so it is quite bitter. This results in your brownie being very dark and chocolatey.
Cocoa Powder: Using cocoa powder in this makes sure you create a balance.
Condensed Milk: We use condensed Milk for the sweeter and fat.
Step By Step Pictures
Melt the dark chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl for a minute and using a spatula, mix it well.
While the chocolate is getting melted, heat the butter over the flame and cook on high. This takes about a minute or two to get a clear liquid. Add this to the melted chocolate.
Combine the chocolate and butter well and add the flour, using the spatula, mix well. Now add the cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and combine everything together.
You will get a thick gooey mix. Add a few spoons of milk to get a little loose batter.
Line the 8" inch square baking tray with a parchment paper and pour the batter into it. Spread it well and bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 25 minutes.
Let it rest for a while before slicing it.
Want to know how else you can replace?
While my recipes are always eggless, you can always bake this with 2 eggs for an easy brownie recipe.
If you don't want to use condensed milk, you can use sugar and curds to substitute to bake these Brown Butter Brownies.
So if you have tried a brownie with brown butter, you will find these other versions interesting to bake as well like these Double Chocolate Caramel Brownie, Triple Chocolate Fudge Brownie, Triple Chocolate Coffee Brownie
How you can make different flavours:
Using just the dark chocolate, you do end up with a rich, dark chocolate brownie. However, you can use about 40 gms of milk chocolate and 90 gms of dark chocolate. It will surely make this different.
Add Chocolate Chips on top to make it more chocolatey.
See this Eggless Oreo Brownies on my website if you want to know how oreo biscuits make it all different.
Equipment used for baking Brown Butter Brownies
You can either melt the chocolate in a double boiler method or in a microwave.
I always use the microwave method. Chop your chocolate and take it in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for a minute, remove and mix using a spatula.
Brownies are baked in an 8-inch square baking tray, lined with parchment paper for easy removal.
How to store these brownies?
You can store the Brown Butter Brownies at room temperature for a couple of days. For a week when refrigerated. Slightly warm it when serving it.
Brown Butter Brownies Eggless
- 80 grams Butter unsalted
- 130 grams Dark Chocolate
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour / Maida
- 1.5 tablespoon Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 cup Milk or as required
- 200 grams Condensed Milk
For Brown Butter
- Heat the butter over medium flame until you start seeing the butter melting and turning clear.
- After 2 minutes, the butter will turn to brown, almost golden colour, with foam coming up on top.
- Allow it to cool down for 5 mins.
Making the Batter
- In a microwave-safe bowl, take chopped dark chocolate and microwave for a minute.
- Remove and stir well using a spatula to melt the chocolate.
- Add the brown butter to this and combine well.
- Next, add the condensed milk and mix. The batter will be a thick batter.
- You can next add the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder.
- The batter will become very thick, so add milk as required to get a slightly pourable batter.
Baking the Brownies
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Line an 8inch square baking tray with parchment paper.
- Transfer the batter to the tray.
- Bake the brownie at 180C for 25 minutes.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing.