Step by Step Recipe:
Shift the flour with baking powder and salt and keep it aside.
Get the butter to room temperature.
Cut into slabs
Using a spatula, beat it in a bowl
Continue beating till the butter turns soft.
Add icing sugar at this stage and continue beating it.
See the way it turns thick at this stage so continue beating it in one direction.
Continue beating till you see this look this way.
At this stage add the egg whites and gently fold in.
Slowly fold in the egg and mix in one direction.
Mix in the flour and gently stir.
Continue doing it with egg and flour
Until you complete both
Grease the baking pan and dust with flour.
Shift the batter into the pan
Pat the batter down, don't use any spoon.
Pre heat the oven at 185 deg C and bake the cake for 30 mins.
Check to see if the knife inserted comes out clean.
Allow it to rest
once done and the slice into pieces.
Basic Sponge Cake
- 2 cups All purpose flour / Maida
- 2 cups Icing Sugar
- 1.5 cups Butter unsalted
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 4 Egg White
- A pinch Salt
- Few drops Vanilla Essence
- Grease a baking pan with butter and dust it with flour, keep it aside.
- Shift the flour along with baking powder, and salt in a big bowl, keep aside.
- Separate the egg whites and take the egg whites in a bowl. Beat well till it is foamy and forms peaks. Add the Vanilla essence and gently mix in.
- Get the butter to room temperature and beat well using a spatula until it turns really soft.
- Then add the icing sugar and continue beating it. Do this till you see the butter turning soft.
- At this stage add half of the egg whites. Combine everything well slowly.
- Add the shifted flour and gently fold it in one direction. Gently fold in the rest of the egg white mixture. Finally add the remaining flour. Gently fold everything together.
- Preheat the oven at 185 degree C.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin.
- Bake at 185 Degree C / 365 degrees F for about 30 minutes till cake springs back when touched lightly in the center.
- Invert the pan and let it cool. Remove the cake from the pan once it is cooled.
- Slice it into small pieces
- Serve warm.