Oats Dosa is one of the easiest and instant dishes you can make. All you need is to mix the flours and make the dosas right away.
In this version of Oats Dosa, I used ground Urad Dal flour. While one may not expect everybody to have Urad dal flour on hand, you can always replace that with just Rava as well. I skipped using Rava in this recipe and still the final dosa was very lacy and had a good texture.
I also felt that Rava sometimes make the dosa little soft and soggy if not mixed in right proportion. I had nearly 4 dishes of this week to be done, and I had planned for the Sunday Dinner. A couple of dosas needed fermentation and I had the foresight to soak and ferment the previous day itself. Since I ended up having 3 batters I almost gave up making this, only to realise that O is ahead of other letters and I better prepare myself.
I remember Konda saying that when she is asked for the alphabetical order, she sometimes goes from A, and I said I always go from the previous letter. Remembered my conversation when I almost scheduled P for today.
So coming back to the dishes to try, since all of us eat only 2 dosas no matter what, I had a tough task as Daddy was out for dinner and it was only Amma, Hubby dear and Myself. It was something else for the kids and obviously, they won’t budge from their schedule menu. One version was tasted by Amma and me as Hubby dear refused to have anything with it on hearing the name. I will share it when I come to that letter. Maybe some of you can take a guess.
He liked this dosa as he thought it was Rava Dosa and I wasn’t about to correct him. Anyway, he has asked me to repeat this and make it a regular one, which naturally makes a thumbs up for this.
A to Z Dosa Varieties
A for Alle Belle
B for Bele Dose
C for Chilro
D for Dhuska
E for Eylanchi
F for Faraali Dosa
G for Ghaaroda
H for Heerekai Dosa
I for ILam Dosai
J for Jini Dosa
K for Kadapa Karam Dosa
L for Lentil Dosa
M for Mushti Dosa
N for Nachni Uttapam
PIN This for Later!
Step by Step Pictures for making Oats Dosa
Oats Dosa ~ Instant No Ferment Dosa
- 1/2 cup Oats quick cooking variety
- 1/4 cup Rice Flour
- 1/4 cup Urad Dal flour
- 2 to 3 Green Chillies finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Onions finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Peppercorn crushed
- Water as required to make a thin batter
- Salt to taste
- Cooking Oil as required
- 1 tsp Ghee
How to make Oats Dosa
- In a bowl, mix all the flours, add the finely chopped onions, green chilies
- Add cumin seeds, crushed peppercorn, and cashews if you wish, along with salt.
- Slowly add water to make a thin batter. When you pour, you should have free flowing batter.
- Heat a nonstick tawa and ensure it is greased.
- Pour a ladleful of batter in a circular motion and swirl the tawa to spread the batter.
- Sprinkle oil and ghee and cook on low flame till the dosa leaves the tawa.
- Turn and cook on the other side as well.
- Serve with coconut chutney.