Raju gari kodi pulao is a popular Andhra restaurant special dish made with Chicken, basmati rice, shallots and Indian spices. A dish that can cooked in pressure cooker or a thick bottom pan too.
The difference in this pulao is the use of only green chilies, shallots along with Indian spices. This biryani or pulao is an easy one to make and you can plan for a weekday or weekend when you run out of idea. This is a simple chicken pulao that doesn't really require any other fancy side dish other than just onion raita. The use of shallots or pearl onions or what we call as sambar onions, reminded me of another biryani that we make.
Since the cooking in pressure cooker makes this pulao little moist, you will have to take care of the water measurement. However, since I was making it in a pan, I adjusted the water accordingly and yet managed to get the rice that had rice grains separate and fluffy yet very soft. My boys felt this pulao had more onions, however, everybody else liked it a lot. As I have mentioned this pulao uses only green chilies and spices.
Ingredients typical to this Raju gari kodi pulao, a popular Andhra restaurant special dish
The real flavour of this pulao comes from the use of shallots or pearl onions. There is no need to marinate the chicken. Its enough to rub the green chili paste over the chicken just before you start cooking the biryani. We add thick curds, lemon instead of tomatoes.
We use rice and water ratio as 1:1.5 as for 1 cup basmati rice water is 1.5 cups. However, we can adjust the water as chicken lets out water while cooking. Once the rice is cooked, keep it covered with lid. Fluff it well and serve hot. This recipe is adapted from a cooking show aired in TV Abiruchi that Amma had noted.
PIN This for Later!
Thalis & Platters
Week 1 - Platters for Elders
Week 2 - Thalis featuring Non Veg Regional Cuisines - Non Veg Thali
Chicken Donne Biryani - Non Veg Thali 1 for Day 1
How to make the chicken marinade for Andra Kodi Pulao
Step By Step Pictures for making the Raju gari kodi pulao
Ingredients Used in making Raju gari Chicken Pulao
Green Chilies are the only source of spice heat in this biryani. So checking how dark the chilies are, you will have to adjust the heat.
The method and ingredients are very simple and easy to make.
We prefer the biryani to have the moisture along with the rice grains separate. Pan cooking works best for this texture. For a quick cooking you can make it in pressure cooker.
You can use the regular whole spices for this biryani.
The main ingredient that surely makes a difference are the shallots that lend an excellent flavour to the biryani.
You can simply serve with onion raita or chicken gravy that's not very spicy would surely go well with this biryani.
If you are looking for other Biryani Recipes check the link
Raju gari Kodi Pulao | Restaurant style Andhra Chicken Pulao
For the Biryani
- 3 cups Basmati Rice
- 1/4 cup Cooking Oil
- 1 cup Shallots / Pearl Onions / Sambar Onions
- 1/2 cup Onions finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- A Pinch Turmeric Powder
- 2 tsp Curds
For the Paste
- 2 big Bay Leaves
- 1 tsp Pepper Corns
- 2 small Mace / Javatri
- 3 inch Cinnamon Stick
- 4 - 5 Cloves
- 1 tsp Shah Jeera
- 2 Cardamom
- 1 big Biryani Stick
How to make Restaurant style Andhra Chicken Pulao
For the green paste to marinate the chicken
- Wash and cut the chicken into biryani size pieces.
- Wash coriander leaves, green chilies, and drain.
- Grind to a paste and transfer to a wide bowl.
- Take the ginger garlic paste, lemon juice and salt to taste.
- Mix well and rub this paste on the chicken. There is no need to marinate, keep it aside while you start cooking.
Making the Biryani
- Have all the whole spices used in this biryani ready on the plate.
- Wash and soak the Basmati Rice for at least 30 mins.
- In a wide nonstick pan, heat the cooking oil and add all the whole spices listed.
- Saute well, then add Shallots and finely chopped onions.
- When the onions are turning colour, add the chicken along with the marinade and turmeric powder.
- Stir well so that the masala coats the chicken all over. Next, add curds and ghee.
- Let the chicken cook for alteast 10 mins while you keep stirring.
- Drain the rice from water and add to the chicken.
- Add hot water. For 3 cups basmati rice, you can add 4.5 cups water.
- Mix well and let it come to a boil. Once it boils and the rice is almost cooked, simmer and keep it for dum over hot pan.
- Serve hot with side dish of your choice.
Other Biryanis you can try!
=>For more chicken Biryani Recipes