Kodava Thalia Puttu is an authentic recipe from Coorg. This is a steamed Rice Coconut Cake made with a batter made using rice and coconut milk fermented overnight.
These steamed dish is a soft and fluffy rice cake fermented overnight. These tastes great with a bowl of sambar or chutney by the side for breakfast. Traditional they make these in plates similar to Thatta and steamed in steamers.
Thalia Puttu is similar to the thatte idli. The only difference is this batter uses coconut milk. We grind the batter with soaked rice, urad dal along with coconut milk. The steamed idlis are soft and fluffy. Traditionally though, they use toddy water to make this batter.
Sanas are the other dish that is similar to these Thali Puttu. You can serve these soft thalia puttu with kootu curry and Ella Pajji.
Thalis & Platters
Week 1 - Platters for Elders
Week 2 - Thalis featuring Non Veg Regional Cuisines - Non Veg Thali
Chicken Donne Biryani - Non Veg Thali 1 for Day 1
Raju gari Kodi Pulao - Non Veg Thali 2 for Day 2
Mutton Biryani - Non Veg Thali 3 for Day 3
Mutton Dum Biryani - Non Veg Thali 4 for Day 4
Fish Curry - Non Veg Thali 5 for Day 5
Prawns Curry - Non Veg Thali 5 for Day 6
Week 3 - Thalis featuring Indian Flatbreads
Banarasi Kachori aur Sabzi Thali for Day 1
Bengali Dhakai Paratha Nasta Thali for Day 2
Bihari Chana Dal Puri aur Sabji Nasta Thali for Day 3
Gujarati Dhebra aur Sabzi Thali for Day 4
Punjabi Amritsari Kulcha Thali for Day 5
Rajasthani Tikkar aur Sabzi Thali for Day 6
Week 4 - Thalis featuring Breakfast from different Indian States
Goan Breakfast Thali for Day 1
PIN This for Later!
Step By Step Pictures for making Thalia Puttu
Ingredients used to make the Kodava Thalia Puttu
Raw rice, with urad dal along with cooked rice is used to make this idli. It is mixed with coconut milk for a favourful steamed idlis.
The idlis are steamed in plates.
Kodava Thalia Puttu
- 1 cup Rice
- 1/2 cup Rice cooked
- 1/2 cup Urad Dal
- 1 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- 1 cup Coconut Milk
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- Salt to taste
How to make Kodava Thalia Puttu
- Wash raw rice, urad dal along with fenugreek seeds with enough water in a bowl for 6 hours.
- When ready to grind, drain the water from the rice and grind in a grinder or mixer by adding water as required.
- Finally, add the cooked rice and continue to a grind to a form a smooth batter.
- Transfer the batter into a mixing bowl, add coconut milk, sugar and mix thoroughly.
- Keep this batter covered in a warm place.
- After fermenting overnight, add the salt to taste and baking soda and mix well.
- Grease the idli plates and pour the batter in the plates.
- Steam the idlis for 15 minutes. Check if cooked and gently remove the idlis to a box.
- Serve the Kodava Thalia Puttu along with side dishes.
For another interest steamed breakfast from Karnataka is this Akki Kadubu.